X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood Source

Everything is tuned up and I'm ready to start my first project. My question is, where is the best place for wood? Locally there's HD, Lowes and Menards, and I'm sure others around but those are the three big ones (in Grand Rapids, MI). Assuming each has a new stack of 3/4" oak plywood, is one any better than the others? I'm going to build some bookcases that'll be stained, and I'll also need some assorted oak boards for trim etc. Is that better from one store to the next, or is it all from the same trees so I should go to my normal closest/cleanest store?

TIA, And thanks for all the great reading so far.

Re: Wood Source

HD and lowes plywood is the worst you can buy. I would use it only for shop cabinets. If you have a hardwood dealer local i would go there to get quality plywood.

The lowes/HD veneered plywood is shopgrade.

Comment

Anybody know a good source for Baltic Birch plywood?
      “If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace” - Thomas Paine

Comment

Menard's has decent plywood. They carry "Baltic Birch" which is more than decent, but not what I would call top-grade. They also carry veneered plywood, MDO and veneered MDF.

Just be careful when you're working with these, as their thicknesses do vary.

Non-BB plywood is usually undersized. 3/4" plywood is anywhere from 21/32" to 23/32" thick. Doesn't seem like a huge deal, until you make a 3/4" dado to fit a plywood shelf/divider and it rattles around!

Baltic Birch is often the stated thickness. 3/4" is almost right on at 0.75 inches thick... might vary by 1/64" or so...

MDO and MDF products are normally the exact stated thickness. (e.g. 3/4" MDF really is 0.75 inches thick)

Comment

Not sure if you are close enough to the water, but Marine Lumber Supply stores carry hi-grade lumber and plywood. Some of it is just too expensive to use on anything other than boats, but they usually carry a nice stock of oak, maple, birch, and any other plywood you might want for quality work.

Comment

Johnson's Workbench in Charlotte, Mi has more hardwood than you can shake a stick at.. fairly priced... they are also a Rockler dealer... Haven't been there in a year or two but I think it's time to make another trip

Comment

Originally posted by Rootsy View Post
              Johnson's Workbench in Charlotte, Mi has more hardwood than you can shake a stick at.. fairly priced... they are also a Rockler dealer... Haven't been there in a year or two but I think it's time to make another trip
              They have a store here in Grand Rapids too. I'll be making a trip there soon. Thanks,

Comment

Try this
                www.woodfinder.com

Someone just told me about this site.

Comment

Working...
                X