X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bisbuit Joiners

Got the new Woodworkers Journal in yesterday. It has the buyers guide for the biscuit jointers. And because we all have heard about these tests are one persons opinion and not to go running to store with checks in hand, I thought I would ask the pros and beginers what they think of the jointers they have. I been wanting to get one for the first time, but still undecided on model. I have heard about the Domino, but dang, they are still too proud of them to lower the price a little. But I heard they are nice.

Re: Bisbuit Joiners

The domino is more of a loose tenon machine. I think it is hard to compare directly to a biscuit joiner. I have the DeWalt and it works fine. The think the PC will do a FF or very small biscuit that the DeWalt will not do. In my opinion biscuit joiners are pretty simple machines and I don't see how any major brand would differ much from each other.

Comment

Here is exactly what everyone wants to hear. LOL I have been using my bisquit cutter for almost 4 years now. Lots and lots of bisquits and never a single problem! My RYOBI has been flawless and if needed I would replace it with another Ryobi.
      info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

I've got a DW682k that works great....the problem is that I use it less and less b/c it's rarely necessary....it collects a lot of dust. Buy a biscuit cutting router bit for $20 from MLCS and some wood with the money you save...

Comment

Or, you could buy the Harbor Freight Bisquit Jointer, which works just fine. I've used mine with great success. Price is right.

Comment

This is good information in that I've been looking at biscuit jointers for years but have never purchased onr. I do have a router bit that I use in my router table and that work fine. As I've been looking at biscuit jointers for a long time I guess I may not really need one.
            Hewood, do you use the router bit in your hand held router? If so do you use some kind of jig with it?
            Jim
            Jim

Comment

i have the Porter cable 557, it comes with a smaller blade for doing face frame biscuits. Its nice but i rarely use it.

Comment

Just purchased the Ryobi JM82 today and already had to take it back because the plate fence was out of alignment and is not adjustable. Got a replacement and it seems to be fine. I am a little leary that the height and angle adjustment are on the same knob, but the price is right.

Comment

A friend of mine bought a cheapie model thinking the same as most people: it's a simple device so why buy an expensive unit.

Well, when we tried to align and glue up his desk tabletop some of the biscuit slots were not parallel to the surface and it wound up being (nearly) a disaster. All I can say is, thank goodness we did a full dry-fit before applying ANY glue!!!

Needless to say, when I decided a few weeks later to buy my own biscuit joiner, I didn't even consider those cheapie models (I'm talking "Tool Shop", HF.. basically anything under $100).

Because of some plans I have to build more things which will include face frame, I opted for the Porter-Cable 557. I used a HD 10% off coupon after convincing them to price match someplace else that had it for $199. So I got it out the door for about $180.

Now, the other model I seriously considered was the Makita, which at the time was selling for $165. The reasons I went with the P-C: the fit and feel of the P-C model surpassed the Makita IMO; the widespread reviews of the P-C's quality with regards to fence and blade alignment; and the FF (face frame) blade capabilities.

Early last year I purchased the biscuit slot router bit and used it a few times. I still decided to get a biscuit joiner, for two reasons:
                  1) portability and ease. It's just not that feasible to put 3-5 slots in a long workpiece using the router table setup (because of the method of plunging and withdrawing at the right place. Also, smaller things just handle better when clamped and you use a joiner.
                  2) it was mentally too difficult to figure out which way workpieces were supposed to be. What I mean is, you can line up all your parts right up next to eachother and one by one move them slightly and use the B-joiner to make your cut, then immediately make the matching slot on it's mate. Simple, piece of cake. Using the slot cutter bit means you really have to keep careful track of which side is up or down, and which side is mating to which. Gave me a headache...

Comment

Well, I just got home with the Ryobi JM82K. Took it out of the box and played with it a few min's. Since this is my first biscuit jointer I don't have anything to compair it to. While at the HD, I wanted to look at the PC but had to wait for someone to show up in the tool area, and then he had to climb a latter to get one off the top top shelf because they didn't have any on the display shelf. After knocking 1/2" of dust off the box, it was so taped up I said the heck with it. The $99.00 compaired to $219.00 helped sway the decision a little too. I didn't want to get a cheepy (HF), but sorta figured the middle of the road price is about the amount I will be using it. Next week I will kick myself in the back side and wish I got the PC. Note: Never go tool shoping after working the night shift.

Comment

I have the Ryobi and I have never had a problem with it. As some of my other techniques get better though, I use it less and less.

Comment

ernurse:

Have you used your Biscuit joiner yet and if so how did it work for you?, I'm looking at doing the same thing.

Comment

i have the porter cable unit, which was a bit pricey. its a great unit and i have used hundreds of biscuits over the 2 or 3 years i've had it. Its extemely well built and will last a very long time. I am very happy with it and would replace it with the same model if i had lost it.

Dust collection is very good, as long as the elbow is connected to a shopvac. It comes with a good plastic case and a decent length power cable. It also does a large range of biscuits.

If i could improve it, i would give it a longer power cord. Otherwise, its flawless.

Comment

I have a Porter Cable and absolutely love it. I use it for when I glue up tops for our bars and it does a great job. I’ve had it about six years and it’s still going strong
                            http://woodworkingtipsfrompop.com/

Comment

I have a DeWalt. It works well and does exactly what I need.
                              The real trick to biscuit joiners is in how you use one, not so much in the brand. As long as the blade is parallel to the base plate, it sould be fine. Try to do as much cutting as you possibly can registering from the base, not the fence. You will get much more accurate cuts when edge joining by putting your parts face-down on the bench and cutting the slots with the base of the joiner on the same surface. It is much easier to keep everything flat/even that way and if there are any variations in thickness of your parts, it will be on the back side. "Story sticks" are very helpful with gettng the slots ligned-up with each other along the joint.

The router table or even the hand-held for that matter cannot cut out in the middle of a panel. If all you do is edge joining, you might get by, but it is not ideal.

Comment

Working...
                              X