X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 14 inch Bandsaw

How are the Ridgid 14" Bandsaws. Are they worth the money? Do you have any trouble with it? Anything someone should watch out for? Best upgrade you have done? Can you still get the riser blocks and all accessories. Thanks in advance.

Re: 14 inch Bandsaw

I know there are respected members of this forum who are very happy with their BS1400 and would probably recommend it. I have several Ridgid tools and have been extremely happy with all of them with the exception of the bandsaw.

If you purchase the bandsaw be prepared for upgrades: the blade needs to be thrown away, you would be wise to get a link belt to replace the V-belt, you might want to replace the rubber tires with urethane and you may need to balance the wheels. I also changed the tensioning system on mine and recommend that upgrade.

You can get a riser kit from Grizzly that will work on the Ridgid. Getting it through Ridgid seems to be hit and miss and more expensive.

I would recommend conducting a search on this site for BS1400 to see what others have had to say.

Welcome to the forum.

Comment

cjh20,

Thanks for the welcome. Having purchased an Ohio Forge bandsaw from HD along time ago. I'm a little leery of some of the "Store Brand" tools. I have the Ridgid Table saw and Drill press (recently purchased) and they seem like real good tools so far. But BS's seem to be a more temperamental breed and I would like to get one that is pretty good out of the box. But like others I would rather touch and feel it before I buy rather than ordering site unseen. Thanks for the tips.

Comment

Originally posted by Stagecoach View Post
        cjh20,

Thanks for the welcome. Having purchased an Ohio Forge bandsaw from HD along time ago. I'm a little leery of some of the "Store Brand" tools. I have the Ridgid Table saw and Drill press (recently purchased) and they seem like real good tools so far. But BS's seem to be a more temperamental breed and I would like to get one that is pretty good out of the box. But like others I would rather touch and feel it before I buy rather than ordering site unseen. Thanks for the tips.
        I don't think you can avoid all of the problems people have had with the RIDGID BS by selecting another brand in the same price range. I truly don't think there is a good 14" BS to be had for less than $500 today or in recent history. And by the time you "upgrade" your BS with new tires, a link belt, better blade(s), and maybe better guides you will probably be close to $500 anyway.

Do some searching on the 'net from BS reviews from the woodworking mags and visit the manufacturers websites. Find an upcoming WWing show and try to attend so you can get some hands on with many of the available models. Nothing takes the place first hand of peeking and poking under the hood so to speak.
        Is the table the right height for you? If not can you raise/lower it?
        How difficult is it to change blades? Open the doors and look at the innards. Is there a brush to clear sawdust off the lower wheel? How is the dust collection port fitted into the housing? Was it an after thought or is it an engineered solution that will be effective at picking up sawdust. How is the motor mounted and where was the motor made? Does the motor have provision for 120 or 220 volts, thermal overload protection, and is it sealed with a decent cooling and fan? How difficult is tension blade adjustment and guide setup. Every time you change your blade size you'll need to set the guides all over again. Is the fence adjustable for drift? Does it even come with a fence? Whats' the stand look like, is it open or closed and what gauge metal is it. Does it have provision for anchoring it to the floor? What HP is the motor? Does the BS have more than one speed. If so is the second speed for metal work or meant for resawing.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
        X