Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: home depot and ridgid

Ed:

I can't believe you paid $259 for the TS2400, that was a bargin or it was a reconditioned saw. I just bought a TS2400ls at HD 2 weeks ago and paid $449.00! Maybe the stand was the diff?

J.

Comment

Okiewoodhog

I paid retail $449, minus 10%, for the TS 2400 in November.The same saw was on sale for $259 at Christmas time. The same TS 2400, reconditioned saw, at this past woodworkers show sold for $349.

Ed

Comment

I worked for Emerson Electric's Electronics and Space Division in St Louis many years ago. Our engineering department did most of the design and development work for Craftsman bench and portable power tools. But Emerson didn't make the finished product. Our interest was in selling electric motors. Sears farmed out the manufacture of drills, saws and other stuff to the lowest bidder.

Ridgid was mostly a plumbing tool supplier then, and considered the top of the line for professionals. I believe they still are. An earlier post does a good job of describing how Ridgid and HD got together on the Ridgid power tools.

Bob

Comment

The reason they stay with the Depot despite the crappy support is simple economics - Lowes and Home Depot are pretty much nationwide and have a ton of stores. So, despite the number of pissed off people, they gain visibility to a much larger group of people who would never see the tools if they were sold by Woodcraft and the like. To have the same number of distributors without using the big box people, they would have to administer hundreds of smaller contracts, collect from hundreds of people, and ship to hundreds of different places. With the depot, they have one contract to administer, one company to collect from, and they probably just have to ship to a few regional warehouses. Tremendous reduction in costs, greater visibiliy, and far fewer headaches. Home Depot handles all marketing etc. It is essentially a shotgun approach - If you only sell to one out of 50 lookers, but you have a hundred million lookers....

Comment

I wonder if Ridgid has ever approached Walmart with the idea of stocking their tools line. Probably would not work because Walmart only carries Black and Decker, but there's plenty of exposure in that store and I'll bet they would display and stock the tools better than Home Depot. Heck even Sears displays and stocks many different power tools brands other than Craftsman. Ridgid is trading nationwide access through Home Depot for poor display and stock of their products. If you made cars, would you rather they be sold and not on display and in stock at many dealerships, or on display and ready for sale in fewer?

Comment

Originally posted by johneel View Post
              What are you going to do? You've got to treat HD as no more than the place to pick up what you're buying. I do all my research online or through magazines. I find out what I need, get a sense of how much it should cost, review how to use it from some online forum, and then hold my breath, run into HD and buy it. The only time I encounter a worker there is when I ask to locate something. (And chances are they won't even know the location.) Here's an HD tip: seek out the oldest worker in the store, the older gentleman who is supplementing his retirement income. Chances are he knows what he's talking about or will take the time to help you find an answer. It's a generation thing, I think. (I'm 46.)

Not to argue your point, but there are a ton of older folks at HD with "looking down thier nose" attitudes as well. I recently had one grumpy ole bass-turd whining for 5 minutes because I wanted a FRUED 12" blade for my Dewalt 705. He kept mumbling on about " we have a shelf full of Dewalt blades" ...... and this guy has to have a FRUED! I stood there and let him rant on and on, and when he finally broke out some FRUED's, I told........hmmm NO THANKS......I dont think I like the color of the paint on that blade and will go to LOWES and look for some other pretty blades.

Comment

Since the subject is HD/Ridgid and has migrated to service issues: My major complaint is that most (in my case - all) HDs do not carry any of the accessary items for any of their tools. Sanding drums for the sander, additional sets of knives for the jointer and the planer, etc etc.

gator

Comment

Very good explanation CW, you covered everything that was asked in the question
                  sigpic

Robert

Comment

Working...
                  X