X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Center leaf system

Hi im going to build a table just like this http://www.crateandbarrel.com/family.aspx?c=883&f=14071 but out of beech. My issue is I need a leaf system that will expand to a minimum of 110 inches. The table will be 70 closed and then with two leafs in the middle that are 20 inch each for a total of 110 inches. Lee Valley has one that opens up to 96. I was hoping someone here could direct me to someplace else or a diagram on how to build or some really good pics.

Thank you

Re: Center leaf system

Have you looked at what Rockler has to offer?
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

This may be a tough thing to find, and even harder to design. The total width of the leaves is greater than either of the two leg pieces (each would only be 35" if the split is in the center, and then you still have to subtract the overhang and the skirt). That means the ends of the slides will be under the leaf when fully extended, depending solely on the other slide for support, and will be supporting the majority of the table top. You may have to move the split to about 16" from one end so the leaf slide/support can have a good anchor and can recess fully under the longer side. The slides will have to be pretty beefy to support that wide a span without sag. If made from wood, you will need something strong like ash or white oak. Cherry, soft maple, and traditional secondary woods like gum and poplar will not be strong enough.

Good luck. Interested in seeing what you come up with.

Go
      Last edited by Gofor; 01-10-2008, 08:37 PM.
      Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Originally posted by Gofor View Post
        This may be a tough thing to find, and even harder to design. The total width of the leaves is greater than either of the two leg pieces (each would only be 35" if the split is in the center, and then you still have to subtract the overhang and the skirt). That means the ends of the slides will be under the leaf when fully extended, depending solely on the other slide for support, and will be supporting the majority of the table top. You may have to move the split to about 16" from one end so the leaf slide/support can have a good anchor and can recess fully under the longer side. The slides will have to be pretty beefy to support that wide a span without sag. If made from wood, you will need something strong like ash or white oak. Cherry, soft maple, and traditional secondary woods like gum and poplar will not be strong enough.

Good luck. Interested in seeing what you come up with.

Go
        Thanks Rockler has one that supports two 18 inch leaves on pg. 77 . It doesnt say type of wood. I am a bit worried about sag but if they sell it, it must work, plus the table will only be opened rarely.

Comment

Working...
        X