X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saw blade stopped

I was ripping a piece of 3/4 plywood using the fence and a gripper to feed the wood when the saw blade stopped. I had the gripper about 1/2 the way over the blade when it stopped. I had a sears 10 saw and this never happened. It had a 4 hp motor. I have since thought maybe the gripper was causing the cut pieces to pinch the blade and stopped the motor or the belt was slipping. Just me in the garage so I couldn't look to see.
    This is an excellent forum and I have been learning a lot.
    Thanks to everyone

Re: Saw blade stopped

Hmmm, guess I would start with the easy stuff.

1. Is the belt still on?
    2. Does the motor turnover?
    3. Did the arbor break?

Comment

When I backed the board up the blade started up again. I pushed the board forward and it stopped. I tried again and it worked. The saw is still functioning.

Comment

Could be that you're trying to feed the board through the blade too quickly.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

When the blade stops, does the motor bog first?

Any chance the run capacitor is shot? What kind of saw do you have? What voltage are you supplying to it? Are the belts loose?

And a real simple question....is the arbor nut loose?
          Last edited by hewood; 01-11-2008, 08:27 PM.

Comment

I believe he has a fairly new 3650 IIRC from a previous post of his.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

It is a couple of weeks old. I didn't hear the motor bog it just stopped.
              I have cut a few boards since then and no problem. I haven't taken the blade off yet but I will. I am using the blade that came with it.
              Thanks for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by harrison2119 View Post
                It is a couple of weeks old. I didn't hear the motor bog it just stopped.
                Check the belt tension and the arbor nut.

Comment

I will check the arbor nut today. The motor could have been runing and I would not have heard it. I wear hearing aids and take them off when I saw.
                  Thanks for all the responses.

Comment

When you check the arbor nut be careful not to over tighten it. Around an 1/8 of a turn past hand tight is all you need to secure the blade.
                    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I removed the arbor nut and blade and there was indication on the back side of the blade that it had slipped. I found some grease on the nut and blade.
                      "Gift from the factory" I removed the grease and used 1000 sand paper to flatten the nut and it seems to be just fine now.
                      Thanks for all the help.

Comment

I checked the nut and blade and found grease on both. I cleaned them and used very fine sandpaper to make sure the nut was flat and have had no further problems.
                        Thanks for all the help

Comment

Same thing happened to me a while After using my 3650. Apparently the belt stretches enough after a while to allow it to slip. I corrected by moving the motor further back to increase the belt tension.

Comment

Working...
                          X