X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS2424 Bevel Adjustment

Jake, several of us still need your help with this problem. Please see previous post:

Previous Post

Thanks!!
    Mark

I have a brand new 2424 and looking at it, I attribute it solely to the weight of the motor.

Mine gets tougher as well, but is nothing but smooth. It never gets jerky through the entire adjustment, just harder.

Watch the motor as you crank the shaft. As you start out (due to motor position), you are merely moving the motor sideways. The further you go, you get closer and closer to moving the motor (actually everything under the table) in a vertical direction. The Z delta (motor distance moved vertically per amount of crank turns) increases through the entire adjustment. The assembly is pivoting at a point that is near the table top underside on the left side of the blade. Factor in the motor weight, distance from the pivot and that you are moving it by cranking a fairly coarse screw with a handle that is only about 5" (2.5" radius) in diameter.

Just a thought.
    Thanh Rodke<br />Woodworker Stuck in a Computer Geek\'s Body...

Comment

I have noticed this in my saw from the start as well, but as was just said, it still runs smooth, just tougher through those last few degrees of tilt. With that in mind, I have not considered this a "problem". I guess I have always focused on what to make with the tools rather than tuning them up to that level. While some might say that is not taking care of your toys, I consider myself the guy that would rather drive the car than polish it all day.

Comment

The bevel mechanism should tilt smoothly all the way to 45º. It will, as you bevel the blade over, increase the resistance in the crank handle, but as long as you do not hit a sudden "stop", or a point where the resistance starts all of a sudden, there is most likely not a problem. In the few cases I have seen where the bevel does get difficult all at once, it’s almost impossible to diagnose. My suggestion (which I'm sure you've done) is make sure the threads on the bevel shaft are clean and free from burrs. Also make sure the grooves in the trunnions, which the carriage rides on, are clean and free from debris. Finally make sure the bevel lock is not causing the problem.

Jake

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

When I originally asked the question I was not sure if I should expect the significant increase in resistance or not. I thought of all the same arguments for the increased resistance that everyone else has made. However, the phrase word "tilt smoothly" is what caused me to question it further. Is the movement jerky? No. However it does get increasingly tough to turn and requires some muscle after about 35-40 degrees. Enough that my wife could barely turn it. Reading the initial posts by others, I was lead to believe that this much resistance is not normal.

I had hoped to remove the dust chute to get a better look at it last weekend, but a 6 week old baby boy had other plans. Maybe I will find the time this weekend.
          Mark

Comment

Working...
          X