Power Mitre Saw

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Mitre Saw

It has been a few years since I posted here. I would like to get back into doing some wood working and want to start by replacing my old 10" Ryobi mitre saw with a 12".

This site used to recommend the Rigid equipment. Should I go with Dewalt?

Re: Power Mitre Saw

More versatile but alas more expensive would be a sliding miter saw. You can have the cutting capacity of a 12" miter saw and the advantages of a slider with the Makita 10" LS1013 Series sliding compound miter saw.

For a plain miter saw IMO, you'd be better off with a DeWalt over the Ridgid.
    ================================================== ====
    All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

Thanks Dave, I plan on getting a slider. What does the Dewalt machine have that the Rigid doesn't?

Comment

I have a Delta 12" sliding compound saw model 708. Delta has a newer slider the tubes (the guide tubes) are horizontal as apposed to the 708's vertical tubes. I have only two issues with my saw. First portability this saw is not only big but also somewhat heavy. Lastly setting accuracy the table is adjusted to the fence the tilt of the blade is adjusted easily but could use a fine adjuster. One last thought is the dust extraction the bag that comes with the saw is far from sufficient. and my shop vac doesn't help much at all.
        If I could I would sell or trade my 708 for a 10" double bevel saw in a minute.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary T. Heller View Post
          It has been a few years since I posted here. I would like to get back into doing some wood working and want to start by replacing my old 10" Ryobi mitre saw with a 12".

This site used to recommend the Rigid equipment. Should I go with Dewalt?
          Heave you considered a 10" slider? The capacity of a 12" slider (really it's only advantage) is minimally more than a 10". But the many advantages of a 10" are (among others):
          - Less blade wobble
          - Inter-changeability of your table saw blade repetoire
          - Cost less!

I debated between the Makita 1013LS and the Bosch 4410L. I went with the Bosch and have been utterly and completely beyond-happy with it.

Comment

I hadn't considered the 10" but now I will. I will look at the Bosch and Makita and stay away from the Rigid. Thanks for the advise.

Comment

Its a Rigid site, why would we recommend a Dewalt?

Comment

Ridgid does not seem to mind open discussions about their products and I am proud of it.

I have a Ridgid 10 compound mitre saw that I love, Also got it on a MSUV and that is money well spent.

As far as teh slider goes, I have a Dewalt Dw718 12" dual bevel compound slider. Its a great saw, but expensive.

You will find more votes here for the Makita and Dewalt for a slider than you will Ridgid.

Whatever you do, go to a store and play with one before you buy.

REgards,

Comment

From this point on, all posts not recommending or speaking highly of RIDGID will be deleted by management....

Just kidding of course! Welcome back Gary. You'll see our little community has grown quite a bit.

Hope everyone's new year has started off in the right direction.

Comment

Just to clarify,

I am not knocking the Ridgid slider. For most home users, its a great saw and will serve them well.

Regards,

Comment

Definitely get a rolling utility "thing" for whatever sliding miter saw you wind up with. The Ridgid MSUV (the old version) rocks. If you can still find one for $99, snatch it up!

Comment

Working...
                      X