TS Blade Alignment - I'm stumped!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS Blade Alignment - I'm stumped!!!

I got a TS Aligner a couple of weeks ago and went about tuning up my TS. I have a Ridgid 3650. I dialed in my fence and my blade and thought I was good to go. The last couple of times I've changed the blade and checked everything with the aligner the blade alignment has been way off - by 0.02" from the back of the blade to the front. My 3650 has a trunnion adjustment lever at the back that I've used each time to get it back to where it should be but why is it reverting back after I've dialed it in? All the trunnion bolts are tight. Help!

Re: TS Blade Alignment - I'm stumped!!!

I think I saw your post a little while ago on another forum. Somebody suggested marking one tooth, measuring to that tooth, and then turning the blade and moving the Aligner back along the miter slot so you measure the distance to the same tooth with the plunger, instead of keeping the blade stationary and measuring to a different tooth at the back of the blade. Sometimes a blade can be slightly warped, and you'll get a different measure on different teeth. Also, when I use my TS Aligner, sometimes it is a little loose in the miter slot, and the play can cause an apparent discrepancy in the measurement. Make sure your set screws are keeping the miter bar tightly in position against one side of the slot or another. In addition, sometimes a miter slot edge might be slightly out of parallel at certain points. Stick a reliable straight edge along the inside edges to check. I used to have a TS 3612, and it was sometimes difficult to keep a blade position when tightening down the bolts. Keep trying, and good luck.
    Joe Spear

Comment

Thanks Joe. I have been measuring off of the same tooth and you're right, I did post this on the SMC forum as well. It is somewhat of a nuisance to keep the trunnion aligned when tightening down the bolts. I've learned to tighten just a little bit at a time, rotating between the bolts and that seems to work fine. I thought about the miter slot not being straight but that doesn't explain why, once I have it dialed in, I'll go back a week or so later and it's out of whack. I hate thought of replacing this saw. I just built a huge workstation for it that I love. From one teacher to another, thanks for the advice.

Comment

I too just purchased a TS Aligner and checked out my saw and this is what I found.

I first removed the blade and checked the face flange on the arbor to make sure it was good, it checked out .001 so I next put the blade back on and checked it using the same tooth and from front to back it is.015 out. I then checked to make sure the blade was not warped by leaving the dial indicator in the middle and rotating the blade a full revolution and it was .001 right along with the Face Flange on the arbor.

My question is this, Should I go ahead and try to align the blade with the left mitre slot and get that .015 down to within .001?

Thanks for your help in advance

Comment

Originally posted by rnt80 View Post
          I've learned to tighten just a little bit at a time, rotating between the bolts and that seems to work fine.
          I learned this technique works best with anything that has more than one fastener holding it. Some examples would be car wheels, missile sections, etc...

Comment

Working...
          X