X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dust chute doesn't work on Ridged jointer

I have a Ridgid 6 1/8" jointer model JP0610. None of the dust and woodchips fall down into the dust collection chute; instead they all blow back onto the infeed table. Even with a shop vac hooked up it didn't seem to make much difference. I won't rule out that I've somehow set it up incorrectly, but I don't think so. Does anyone else have this same problem? Is it a 'feature' of the jointer or is it something correctable. Thanks.

I just bought a JP0610 a few weeks ago and dust collection works like a dream on mine. What HP shop vac are you using? Is it on a long extension hose? Do you have it hooked up to multiple tools at one time?
    Shop Vacs are nice but they don't have the CFM required to adequately handle dust dollecton in my opinion. I have a 1 1/2 HP Delta Shop Masster Dust Collection system with 4" dust collection hose to every tool...It pulls all the saw dust down off the deck and pretty much gets 97% of dust during jointing. Take a look at expanding to a larger unit with a higher CFM rating...Hope this helps.

Comment

Nate

You must have an obstruction of some type; I have a Craftsman shop vac (you know the typical inflated 32HP type, I think it is rated at 11.6 Amps) attached to mine and it collects at least 90% of the debris. Prior to attaching the shop vac a majority of the chips would just simply slide down the chute and make a pile on the floor.

Woodslayer

Comment

If the shop vac doesn't have enough power it will not collect much. The jointer really requires a proper dust collecter to do a good job.
        www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

If you take the hose off and slide the plactic chute out of the way do the chips fall to the floor? If not you likely have a bunch of chips stuck in the chute. UNPLUG the machine and stick the vac hose up the chute to clean it out. Stick a flashlight up the chute and you should be able to see the light by looking down towards the chute from the top past the blades. The shop vac should have enough CFM to handle edge joining but if you are pulling off 1/8" from the face of a 6" board your shopvac won't likely keep up and if it does it will be full in a couple of passes then the chute will clog again

Comment

On a jointer, I would just let the chips slide out and the sweep then up. A shop vac clogs quickly with wood chips and is not the right tool to use for dust collecting. I suggest an upgrade to a proper Dc the first chance you get. You will thank yourself the first time you use it.

Comment

I had the same problem until I went with a DC. Jake told me to let the chips fall as suggested prior and I did that till I got the DC. It works great now.

Comment

Now rember to keep the run on the dc to the jointer as short as possible.
                Andy B.

Comment

Working...
                X