X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS2400LS vs TS3650

I am looking into purchasing my first table saw and discovered the excellent reviews on the TS2400LS and TS3650 saws both here and elsewhere on the internet. I was sold on the 3650 until reading about the 2400 and now I don't know what to buy. Most people looking at the 3650 are considering it over other similar type saws, and the same for the 2400, but never really compare the two. I want to do nice furniture grade woodworking, but I don't have a lot of space, and the portability of the 2400 makes it an easier choice, but I don't want to sacrifice function for the occasional portability. I want something that I won't outgrow and can use for years as I develop my skills. Is there anyone out there that uses the 2400 to do woodworking and not just job site work? Other than rip capacity and table size is anything else lost with the 2400? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Re: TS2400LS vs TS3650

Aside from portability, a full size cast iron saw with a belt drive induction motor holds just about all the advantages over the portable....surface area (especially in front of the blade), motor noise, reliability, mass/stability, resale value, and even vibration at the arbor. You're also more likely to outgrow the smaller saw.

Unfortunately the 3650 has an outboard motor which takes up extra space and poses a few other issues. There are several newer designs out that are similar in description to the 3650, but they move the motor inside the enclosure, which saves space and offers several other advantages like improved dust collection, and a shorter more efficient drive belt (better power transfer/lower vibration)....they're called hybrids, and are offered by just about all of the bigger brand names...Jet (demo video) (review), Delta, Grizzly, Craftsman, General International, Hitachi, Shop Fox, Steel City, DeWalt, Sunhill and Woodtek to name a few. Prices range from $400 on sale to over $1k depending on features, and there are many good choices in the $600-$700 range.
    Last edited by hewood; 01-13-2008, 04:47 PM.

Comment

I would definitely do the 3650 unless you're really hardup for space. Hewood's idea of a hibrid makes sense to me.

Comment

If I had the space to keep a 3650 I would go for it or something similar without a doubt. Since I have to roll in and store my saw indoors when I'm done the 2400 is the only realistic option I had. While I really wish I had a larger saw the 2400 is solid enough to produce some fantastic results. For a portable saw it's got one of the largest tables and the fence is excellent. The saw is dead on accurate once set up right and that makes all the difference. It's perfectly capable of producing fine work. You'll just need to be a little creative when doing cuts the reach or exceed it's capacity.
        Last edited by Velosapien; 01-13-2008, 09:53 PM.

Comment

You've made one excellent decision right off the bat...you've chosen not to start with a cheapie table saw, like I did three years ago. Live and learn.

I was in the same boat as you. I have a 300 sq. foot L-shaped shop area in the basement, with a fair amount of it taken by water heater, hvac, storage, and a stupid metal pole right in the middle. I'd cut it down, but I think it's vital in keeping the house from collapsing .

I opted for the 3650. Having the ability to move the saw via Herculift is an absolute must for me. Plus, it's quieter than the 2400 (or so I've heard from others on this forum). I plan to keep this thing for decades, knock on iron.

It's certainly worth looking at other hybrids as well. If you do, factor in any additional cost if a mobile base isn't included.
          Last edited by steveKane; 01-14-2008, 12:25 AM.

Comment

Hewood:

Can you not change out the top to a cast iron top later as he grows into it?

Comment

Originally posted by Okiewoodhog View Post
              Hewood:

Can you not change out the top to a cast iron top later as he grows into it?
              That'd likely be far harder than it's worth, as there are no direct fitting tops that I'm aware of. I think the motor and arbor assembly all fit proprietarily to the 2400's top. Even if you pulled it off, you'd still have a direct drive universal motor vs a belt drive induction motor and the guts of a portable vs the cast parts of a full size saw. Not worth it IMO...

Comment

Thanks everyone for the responses. I do have a space limitation in the basement, but that shouldn't be forever and I really do want a decent saw primarily for home use. I am set on a Ridgid because of all the great reviews and I received a bunch of HD gift cards for Christmas to help me with my goal of purchasing a table saw. I stumbled across Ridgid after months of looking and reading reviews of other common saws and it just seemed like the right fit. If it wasn't for that great black Friday sale (which I missed because they sold out) I would have never given the portable much thought. I appreciate everyone who took the time to offer their advice and I feel I will probably by purchasing the TS3650 pretty soon. Hopefully after I gain some experience with it I will have more to contribute here as well. Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by CFSPAWN View Post
                  Thanks everyone for the responses. I do have a space limitation in the basement, but that shouldn't be forever and I really do want a decent saw primarily for home use. I am set on a Ridgid because of all the great reviews and I received a bunch of HD gift cards for Christmas to help me with my goal of purchasing a table saw. I stumbled across Ridgid after months of looking and reading reviews of other common saws and it just seemed like the right fit. If it wasn't for that great black Friday sale (which I missed because they sold out) I would have never given the portable much thought. I appreciate everyone who took the time to offer their advice and I feel I will probably by purchasing the TS3650 pretty soon. Hopefully after I gain some experience with it I will have more to contribute here as well. Thanks again

I was in the same boat as you. I ended up returning my 2400LS and getting the 3650 so I recommend the 3605. Here is why:
                  1. larger table top
                  2. cast iron
                  3. quieter (which is important especially in the basement)
                  4. I noticed the footprint it took up when ope was close to the 3650 because the folding legs come out past the table on the left.

In addition to all of this, the 3650 offers something else. You can build a tablesaw station (which I plan to do) with cabinets underneath, and under each wing. Also incorporate a built in router table and attach an auxilary fence to the standard fence for it. You can put a piece of hardboard on top of the cast iron table and use it as a glue-up, assembly table.

My point is, portability has it's place if you need to actually take it to the jobsite but if you plan on leaving it where it is but just want to roll it in a corner I think for the money and flexibility you would be be short changing yourself by not getting a good contractor saw. The key is making a more than just a tablesaw, turn it into a functioning workstation!!!

Comment

Go full size if you can. I'd go with a hybred.

Comment

I bought the 2400 black friday for 300. I chose this one because it was almost twice as cheap and there is nothing I cant build with this saw than I could with the 3650. Its just as accurate.

Comment

Excellent choice - I bought my TS2400 for the same reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by keithmylum View Post
                          I bought the 2400 black friday for 300. I chose this one because it was almost twice as cheap and there is nothing I cant build with this saw than I could with the 3650. Its just as accurate.
                          daym, where the hell are you guys finding these deals? I'm jealous!

Comment

Sheeesh no kidding thats a giant discount!

Comment

If you regularly check out Craigslist, you will find excellent deals on the TS3650. How about a 2 year old TS3650, used for one year and sat in the garage for the second... for $225? It had some surface rust and needed a good cleaning. Now, I have to see if the dust collection works reasonably well and get a good blade.

Comment

Working...
                              X