X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about TS blades

Hi, I run a diablo 80 tooth for all my 4/4 ripping and crosscutting as well as for plywood.
    Crosscutting of plywood is the only place that I get tearout.

On thicker stuff 8/4 and up I have a diablo rip blade , I think 24 tooth.

Should I be using my rip 24 tooth blade on the ply and the 4/4 stuff as well? And the 80 tooth for crosscuts only?
    Will I get chip out with the rip blade on ply?
    Its %99 for furniture cuts.

Thanks

Re: Question about TS blades

you could go to a combo blade. I use a 50tooth freud for everything and it works fine (ripped 12/4 walnut with it the other day without issue) it rips veneer ply well and also crosscut if you take some precautions. i put bluetape on the cut line, it eliminates any tearout

Comment

An 80T blade should be used for crosscuts, ripping thinner hardwoods where a clean cut is desired, and sheetgoods. I use a 30T to 60T for most 4/4 hardwoods, and switch to the 24T for > 6/4. The Diablo line is decent, but I think you'll be ahead of the game if you step up to the Industrial Line....(LU86, LU87, LU88, etc).

Comment

Are you using a ZCI, Woody? Sorry if this has already been discussed in another thread (I'm no young pigeon and my memory isn't the best!!). A ZCI could help with tearout on ply. A lot of it depends on the quality of the ply, I think.
        I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Originally posted by VASandy View Post
          Are you using a ZCI, Woody? Sorry if this has already been discussed in another thread (I'm no young pigeon and my memory isn't the best!!). A ZCI could help with tearout on ply. A lot of it depends on the quality of the ply, I think.
          Im going to make one this week. I keep forgetting.

Comment

You can minimize chipout by either using a ZCI or using blue painter's tape along the cut line and making a shallow scoring cut on the show face. Both work although I've had better results with the second option.

Comment

Working...
            X