X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urgent Assistance Please

I have a person who has requested a high chair from Oregon Pine. She wants it to look antique, so I set about looking for patterns, which I have been unable to locate one that suited her taste. However, I did come upone a picture of one which she very much likes and now she has requested a quotation. I have never made a high chair before, so I am not quite sure how to go about figuring out the in and outs so to speak.

My question would be, if I send you a picture, would it be possible to figure out what I need from the picture? It does not have to be exactly like the picture, but as close as possible.

Oh, by the way it would have to be in mm as that is the system that is used over here. I am located in South Africa.

Re: Urgent Assistance Please

Hi Windspirit. Welcome to the forums.

Unfortunately, I'm not able to answer your quest. I'm sure others here will be able to point you in the right direction. There's going to be a lot of discrepancy on the cost of woods and materials, so I don't think anyone would be able to quote you any real prices.

I guess what you're looking for is an estimate on the kinds of cuts you'll need to make and the amount of material you'll need. One way to go about that is to add up the amount of wood required in meters/mm. Do that and you should be able to come up with the metric equivalent of board feet (board meters?). Using that figure, you should be able to price out the wood. As far as time goes...that's entirely up to you. Obviously, the first of anything will take longer and also, it'll take more material. Figure in about 5-10% more material than your figures show.

Try and get some pictures of your finished project. Obviously, we'd love to see it, but mostly it's for your own library. I like having pictures of my finished projects to show people.

Good luck!
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Dear VASANDY,

Thank you kindly for the reply. You are correct in your observations. I need someone who can draw out the pattern so to speak in the various patterns I will need and give me approximation sizes.

The cost I know only I can do over here, that's somewhat the easy part once the picture is broken down into the various pieces.

Thanks a ton for your reply.

Windspirit/Liz

Comment

Just a word of caution...

If they're going to actually use this and sit a baby in it, there might be laws regarding safety standards and such that you might want to either look into or have them sign a disclaimer about. I know I wouldn't want to be held liable in the states for a baby getting hurt.

Comment

The Weasel brings up a valid point, something to consider.

If you have found a number of plans for designs that they client does nto like, and you have a photo of what they would like, why not adapt the plan to fit the style and proportions of the photo? In other words, follow the plan but make it look like the photo.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Thanks to all of you for your quick responces and concerns. I have made furniture and the safety issue is not the problem, those are all under control. I have now rectified my problems and have the info that I require. You guys are all gems. Will post a picture of the completed project when it happens.

Windspirit

Comment

Working...
            X