X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Age of furniture to call it "antique"

I'm not sure if this is really correct so I'm asking forum members to express their thoughts on this. A few local (in same state I'm in) auction houses have said that under law to call a piece of furniture "antique" it has to be a minimum of 100 years old. Either there experts must have very little doubt to it's age or the seller must have some manor of proof. Without such they claim they must not call it an antique. What are your thoughts on this? I do know that with fine art it has to be 100 or older to call it antique. I'm asking about wood furniture here.

Re: Age of furniture to call it "antique"

A bit of research yielded some interesting points. There does not appear to be any governmental agency that sets laws for antiques. Neither is there any country-wide organization that sets rules. I guess the closest we come is some appraiser's associations, and it seems the Chicago Appraisers Association is the biggest of those. Although I doubt the CAA is any kind of governance board. In Maryland there is the Antique Dealers Association of Maryland. They can be found http://www.antiquesinmd.com/index.html <<< there. They might be able to better answer your question.

It seems to be just generally accepted that to be considered antique, furniture must be 100 years old or older. Proving that is, apparently, is where all the difficulties come in.
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Re: Age of furniture to call it &quot;antique&quot;

I think for furniture like many other products from the past there are ways to Id their age and manufacturer. China and silver and pottery all have marks which to the casual observer may appear to be chicken scratch but to the trained eye they are an artists mark or a factory's ID mark.

For furniture much of that which we prise from a hundred years ago was mass produced in shops around the world using machines wherever they could save time and reduce costs. Greene & Greene were not above using a power tool to produce their Arts and Crafts style wares. Many of these mass produced parts have numbers on them and other markings that can usually get the date within a few years. It should not be too difficult to date a piece from the turn of the century (the previous one that is, not 2000).
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

A job I did last week yielded some really old antiques. I personally didn't take them but the guy who helped me was an old-timer and that's why I invited him along.

The old fellow that had me do the work stated we could take anything we wanted, but preferably to TAKE IT ALL!! Meaning clean up the basement.

That would of taken a dumpster and no way that was going to happen.

But anyway the guy got a antique mirror with a beautiful wood moulding wrapped around it. It had to be hand carved from the way it looked. Some really old milk bottles with the flip snap caps along with some old hand tools that were sat down to be never used again.

I'm not too much for collecting material posessions but I certainly appreciate fine woodworking projects, anything made out of wood that is hand crafted.

Same goes for working with metal, glass, paint and all the cherished trades that I'll never be able to do. I love that antiques road show on PBS.
        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

"I love that antiques road show on PBS."

Yes, that is an interesting show. I believe you have to take the values they put on some of the articles as a little inflated but other than that its a good show. Many time the dealer will say for insurance purposes I would put the value at $xxx.xx, but in reality you would have a hard time selling the item for that much.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
          X