Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salad Bowl Varnish

Hi,

Does anyone know if the Watco Butcher Block Finish (available at HD) is the same as salad bowl varnish? I can't seem to find anything else around here.

FSK
    Last edited by FSK; 01-17-2008, 10:35 AM. Reason: Too much information.

Re: Salad Bowl Varnish

Mineral Oil is the best thing for butcher blocks, cutting boards, etc. It's safe for food products, in fact if you buy a decent board, usually the instructions for prep and care will state the same thing. DON'T USE any fancy oils like Tung Oil, unless you like being sick.

Comment

agree, go with the mineral oil. I bought the salad bowl / butcher block stuff once, prefer mineral oil alot cheaper too.

Comment

I have trained woodworkers, designers and installers for many years and have found no better method than the following formula:
        1. Pour mineral oil into a can, and heat it in a pan of water (like a double boiler). Mineral oil has a low flash point, so avoid contact with your heat source.
        2. After it warms, add parafin, either solid bar or beads, approx 1 part parafin to 4 parts mineral oil.
        3. When fully melted and blended together, pour the mixture over the unfinished wood, mopping it over the surface with a soft cloth, allowing it to soak in. As the oil is absorbed, the surface will become dull.
        4. Apply a second and subsequent coats using the previous proceedure, until the oil can no longer be absorbed and begins to puddle on the surface.
        5. Apply the final coat, wiping any remaining residue and polish to a uniforn sheen.
        Your salad bowl, cutting board or butcher block top is ready for immediate use.

Periodically wipe the surface with the mineral oil straight out of the bottle, or renew with the heated oil procedure. The initial application with the heated oil allows a deeper penetration and the parafin gives added protection.
        Under no circumstances should you use vegetable oil or shortning, as these will turn rancid and no longer be food safe.
        If it don\'t fit, force it. If it breaks, \'needed fixin\' anyhow. 8{~

Comment

I don't know if the Watco is the same as salad bowl varnish but I did find this;

"WATCO Butcher Block Oil and Finish is specially formulated for use on wooden butcher blocks, cutting boards, salad bowls, and other applications which require a food safe finish. Easy to apply and maintain, it is nontoxic and safe for food contact when fully dried (meets government standards of 21CFR 175.300). More durable than traditional butcher block oils, [WATCO] provides a rich lustrous sheen while actually protecting your wood products. Recommended uses: Butcher Blocks, wooden boards, utensils, toys and furniture."
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
            I don't know if the Watco is the same as salad bowl varnish but I did find this;

"WATCO Butcher Block Oil and Finish is specially formulated for use on wooden butcher blocks, cutting boards, salad bowls, and other applications which require a food safe finish. Easy to apply and maintain, it is nontoxic and safe for food contact when fully dried (meets government standards of 21CFR 175.300). More durable than traditional butcher block oils, [WATCO] provides a rich lustrous sheen while actually protecting your wood products. Recommended uses: Butcher Blocks, wooden boards, utensils, toys and furniture."
            Thanks Dave for the answer to my question. It sounds like this stuff is close enough to salad bowl varnish for my purpose.

Comment

Working...
            X