X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best TS $550-$650?

Thinking bout getting a good TS for under $650...I'm considering a hybrid but want to know what else you guys would recommend...

i've been looking at this JET JPS-30 from amazon for $630 shipped. What's the difference between the JPS30 and the JPS10? anyone know?

i like the ridgid TS3650 too but don't like that motor in the back and it looks like it wouldn't handle dust as well...i'm speaking purely from pictures btw, not from experience so if you'd like to shed some light, please do...

other suggestions for under $650?

that JET JWTS10 looks decent too. daym.

Re: best TS $550-$650?

Originally posted by DeuceLee View Post
    Thinking bout getting a good TS for under $650...I'm considering a hybrid but want to know what else you guys would recommend...

i've been looking at this JET JPS-30 from amazon for $630 shipped. What's the difference between the JPS30 and the JPS10? anyone know?

i like the ridgid TS3650 too but don't like that motor in the back and it looks like it wouldn't handle dust as well...i'm speaking purely from pictures btw, not from experience so if you'd like to shed some light, please do...

other suggestions for under $650?

that JET JWTS10 looks decent too. daym.
    Buy a used one off craigslist. Probaly find a delta unisaw cabinet for that. I had the ts3650. Dust collection was good. My jet cabinet saw has more dust coming out the top than the 3650. I think cause the suction isnt as great in an enclosed cabinet verse a small trough in the 3650. 3650 wasnt powerful enough to cut 8/4 white oak very well for me. The fence is good. Rails are decnt length for contractors saw.

Comment

The hybrid design in general is a step in the right direction. The Jet ProShop 30 is a really nice hybrid, and is a clear step up from the Jet "Workshop" hybrid....it has a better fence and more mass, plus other improvements. The Workshop saw (aka 708100) is a good deal on sale ~ $400, but when the price gap closes, the Proshop has the upper hand in my book.

Another very good choice is the Orion made Craftsman 22114 with cabinet mounted trunnions...~ $630 thru 1/19 with the Sears card 15% discount.
      Last edited by hewood; 01-18-2008, 11:40 AM.

Comment

If you have a little patience you can get a good cabinet saw used for about that price.
        Look at craigslist for your area today, you might find something.
        www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

They're selling that JPS30 faster than they can make them.

Comment

hey woody, that jps30 that you got linked goes to a review for a jps10, so whats the difference? any? i'm confused between the two i can't find a jps30 on jets website at all

Comment

The ProShop series is all the same basic saw....different wings, different fence lengths, different doo-dads are what differentiates the various models.

Comment

wow this is whacked! two nearly identical saws, the JPS-30 is actually usually cheaper then the JPS 10...you'd think the "30" would have a little more features because of the naming convention...and thus be more expensive

anyways, the amazon deal seems pretty good right now...$630 shipped, and according to their website, it's in stock, other places have it on back order until march...

ok, i just found out the JPS-30 and the JPS-10 are the same saw except the JPS-10 has cast iron wings and the JPS-30 has stamped steel wings...is it THAT big of a difference in the long run, or on performance and stability??????? thanks
                Last edited by DeuceLee; 01-19-2008, 09:40 AM.

Comment

I had steel wings for years. Not a big deal. They work fine. Given my druthers cast iron would be nice but if were trying to save money somewhere, that's the spot to do it, not the fence, not the trunnions, not the motor, etc. The Jet looks like a winner to me.

Comment

Originally posted by DeuceLee View Post
                    ok, i just found out the JPS-30 and the JPS-10 are the same saw except the JPS-10 has cast iron wings and the JPS-30 has stamped steel wings...is it THAT big of a difference in the long run, or on performance and stability??????? thanks
                    Deuce - I think most people probably prefer CI, but steel wings have been used successfully for decades without issue. $600 buys a nice saw, but it doesn't necessarily buy one with all the bells and whistles....you're giving up very little with steel wings, and nothing in the way of cutting performance. It's not hard to replace them with CI, MDF, or even a router table at some point if you should ever want to upgrade them.

The big plus I see with the hybrid is that the layout of the saw will always have it's key advantages regardless of wing material, and a contractor saw will always have it's disadvantages no matter what you do. The pros of a hybrid become more obvious over time, and might be hard to envision now if you're a rookie. I'm much rather have the advantages from the start and let the saw grow with me over time, as opposed to trying to work around the cons of an outdated design. Executive decision time!

Comment

i think i'm leaning more towards the JET, my post at sawmill creek also says the same thing...

thanks a bunch everyone

Comment

Originally posted by lefrere
                        HI!

This is my first post in this forum.

I would like to share something that might interrest some people who lives in the Gatineau, QC, Canada area.

I had a excellent deal on a TS3650. 499$ CND (plus taxes.. of course). On the Homedepot Canadian site, it's presently 799$

It was purchased at the Gatineau Homedepot on Mte Paiement BVLD on January 19th 2008.

How long it will last..I don't know.. First arrived.. First served!

Lefrere
                        welcome Lefrere to ridgid forums...

thats not bad, thats crazy canada charges that much...

i think we in the usa can easily get that for 495 with a 10% coupon...

Comment

Working...
                        X