X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• circular saw blade alignment

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I wanted to ask to make sure.....I just purchased a new circular saw (after my 15 yr old made in the USA Sears saw got too tired and worn) to cut about 1/2 inch off the end of a 1 3/4 inch think alder desk top I am making. I used a cutting guide clamped to the desk top to run the left side of the shoe against and new bosch blade. The first cut was terrible, burnt wood and smoke and it would not cut straight but instead wanted to run off and away from the guide edge. The width of the blade cut in the wood was about 1/8 inch. I was pretty ticked off. The saw is a Milwaukee 6390-21 which got great reviews everywhere I read about it.

I figured the problem was with blade alignment. This is where I might be making wromg assumptions. Shouldn't the blade be parallel with the left and right side of the shoe?? I also think that is should especially important with todays thin kerf blades. I measured the distance from the rear and front of the blade to the shoe edges. The bladeis just over 1/16 inch off (out of parallel) to the shoe edges.

Do I have a badly adjusted saw??

Thanks Dennis

Re: circular saw blade alignment

Well, the thing is not gonna cut properly if it's that far out of alignment.
    I looked at Milwaukee's online manual
    http://www.milwaukeetool.com/us/en/p...-14-6390d7.pdf
    and it says if you get those symptoms, one possible cause is "shoe is out of line or bent". But there is no method shown to re-align it.

Sounds like you got a bad one.

Comment

Re: circular saw blade alignment

Originally posted by DWfromUK View Post
      Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I wanted to ask to make sure.....I just purchased a new circular saw (after my 15 yr old made in the USA Sears saw got too tired and worn) to cut about 1/2 inch off the end of a 1 3/4 inch think alder desk top I am making. I used a cutting guide clamped to the desk top to run the left side of the shoe against and new bosch blade. The first cut was terrible, burnt wood and smoke and it would not cut straight but instead wanted to run off and away from the guide edge. The width of the blade cut in the wood was about 1/8 inch. I was pretty ticked off. The saw is a Milwaukee 6390-21 which got great reviews everywhere I read about it.

I figured the problem was with blade alignment. This is where I might be making wromg assumptions. Shouldn't the blade be parallel with the left and right side of the shoe?? I also think that is should especially important with todays thin kerf blades. I measured the distance from the rear and front of the blade to the shoe edges. The bladeis just over 1/16 inch off (out of parallel) to the shoe edges.

Do I have a badly adjusted saw??

Thanks Dennis
      Sounds to me your guide is not a straight surface. If that is not the case I would just start the saw up and look to see if there is a wobble in the blade. If you see a wobble, go and buy a new blade.

Comment

Working...
      X