X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Magazine?

I know there is probably a thread on this somewhere but I'm not going to look through 200+ pages of threads to find it.

What would you say is the best wood working magazine out there for someone to subscribe to? I hear alot about "Wood" magazine?

Thanks

Re: Best Magazine?

I have Wood, Popular woodworking and finewoodworking. FWW is the best in my opinion. The other two are pretty good but i think FWW takes the cake.

Comment

I get Wood ,Pop.Woodworking, ShopNotes, American Woodworker delivered then I usually buy FWW and Woodworkers Journal. Of them all I like Popular Woodworking. But they are all very good.

DAN

Comment

I dont know about Wood, I got it for a year, Its not as good as Fine Woodworking and Shopnotes. Popular Woodworking is a good one also.
        I also got workbench and family handyman. I stopped renewing those.

Comment

No body has mentioned Woodsmith yet. Its my favorite. No ads. I also get Wood and Popular Woodworking. I like both of these also.

Comment

I like Popular Woodworking - it has a good mix of hand tools and power tools. I also get Wood, but prefer the construction methods used in Popular Woodworking more. Fine Woodworking is also excellent, but I think it depends on your skill level. For relative newbies (like me), PWW and Wood give more detailed instructions than FWW which is helpful.

Comment

I subscribe to Wood Magazine, it's okay. It has some nice projects, gives fairly good details and the web site is pretty decent with quite a few video, slides, etc. I don't think you have to subscribe to the magazine to get anything on their web site. What I wish they would do though is provide a password with thier subscription so you could get the full articles from their archives, which otherwise available only for a fee. Overall I think Wood is a good bargain if you get one of their "subscribe for one year, get two extra years free" offers, which pop up regularly.

IMHO, "Wood" and "Popular Woodworking" are quite similar with a mix of projects, tips and tricks, product reviews and short articles. Woodsmith and ShopNotes, lean pretty hard toward just projects, for in the home and shop. ShopNotes seems to target more shop projects and related articles, while Woodsmith articles, though often tutorial, always appear to be focused with specific projects in mind.

I like Fine Woodworking, but it's a little on the expensive side and is often way beyond my skill levels, with it's focus on the higher end of the woodworking art. Produced by Taunton Press, it is a top quality magazine, undoubtedly; and one simply does not throw them away.

Beyond that, I have a tendency to review what's on the local newstands and if there's a good project, I buy the magazine. Unfortunately, I'm one of those people who have a tendency to keep every magazine I get and then in a year or two come to the realization that I'm buried in periodicals ... then I purge everything, crying what a waste! While I'd love to have them all, I keep thinking of all the trees that get ground up to make paper and then of course there's the "no more room" thing!

CWS

Comment

To me the questions comes down to what you want from the magazine. Woodsmith and Shopnotes are very good for tutorials and beginning to intermediate projects. Wood and Popular Woodworking are both good for project plans and techniques - Popular Woodworking at a little more advanced level, I feel. Both of these two are also very good for tool reviews. Fine Woodworking - that's for showing what's possible when your skills reach a really high level. It's beautiful and provides inspiration - but seldom a project that a relative klutz like me can do. It also offers good tool reviews.

American Woodworker is one I just occasionally pick up on the newsstand if it has a particular project I'd like to try.

I should say a word about ads. Woodsmith and Shopnotes don't have any, which some find good. For myself, I quite like the ads in most woodworking magazines. They keep me informed of what's out there and at what price. In general, I don't think the advertising affects the tool reviews in the magazines, but of course I can't prove that.

So in the end, what do you want from the magazine? That should make your decision for you. Fortunately, by purchasing individual issues from the newsstands, you can try them all out cheaply and see which ones suit your needs.

Terry

Comment

I subscribe to Wood, Woodsmith, Woodworker's Journal, and American Woodworker.

Also, no one has mentioned Fine Woodworking's online membership, which is the way I went. The online membership is awesome, as you have access to their archives, their incredibly vast array of articles, plans, jigs, etc, etc. It costs more than any of the others (about $35 a year) but I've gotten SO much information from there, and you can save almost all of it to your own computer for reference. As a side benefit, you also get some access to other Taunton products (Fine Cooking, Fine Homebuilding, etc...)

Of the magazines, each has their ups and downs, from month to month. Wood is consistent at a beginner and medium level. I like Woodsmith, as the plans are clear and excellent, but there's a minimum of other material. Woodworker's Journal is similar to Wood, but has a side-bend bias to Rockler's goods. I like American Woodworker a lot, which has a good mix of medium to advanced projects, as well as good articles.
                  I've been wanting to subscribe to Popular Woodworking, but I'm waiting for one of my current ones to expire.

Try 'em out from the library. ;-)

Comment

Thanks for all you inputs, I guess I will just have to pick some up at the newstand and see which one I like the best. I have picked up Shop notes and American Woodworker and have enjoyed reading them. I am a novice woodworker so I am trying to accuire as many tools as I can afford and learn as much as I can as fast as I can so I can create some really nice projects.

Comment

I get Fine Woodworking, Popular Woodworking and Wood, although I will sometimes pick up things at the bookstore too if they look worthwhile. Of all of them, FWW is probably my favorite, even though there far too many "showpieces" in it for my taste, I like actual, functional furniture.

As for the whole "no ad" thing, that's not only not a selling point, I see it as a negative. It raises the issue price and I want to see the ads, that's how I know what's new and interesting to buy.

Comment

You have the right idea. Base your decision on 3 things. 1, what magazines interest you, 2, what you want to accomplish, 3, your skill level. Many say that ShopNotes is for beginners, and maybe it is, but I can build a bedroom set or a bird house, and I like reading it, so get what interests you.
                        Never use your thumb to check the sharpness of a spinning blade

Comment

That's pretty much what I do, I go to the news stand and if somthing catches my eye I will scan through it and if I like what I see I buy it.
                          Right now I am in to making jigs and getting my saw table geared up so I can handle the pieces safely and not cut off my hand in the process. I picked up the copy of Shop Notes 120+ Tips and Techniques witht he CD inside and I have still not got all the way through it. I want to get the one that is out that has all the tricks with the table saw!

Comment

IMHO, I would get ShopNotes for starters because it is just a down to earth magazine. They include some of the greatest, simple, useful jigs/ideas/etc that make you want to smack yourself for not thinking of it. They also include projects that do not require all the tools in Norm's shop to complete. By the way, while picking up your magazines, pick up about 100 clamps, you will use them. Well, maybe not 100, but I have about 30, and when working on cabinets or laminating, I use just about all of them.

Have Fun
                            Never use your thumb to check the sharpness of a spinning blade

Comment

make mine woodsmith.. no ads, decent colums and project for all skill levels.
                              there is a fine line between woodworker and tool collector....

Comment

Working...
                              X