X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3650 and dado blade

I purchased the 3650 during the 20% off sale, and love it so far.

The only problem is I bought the new Freud dial-a-width dado (8") and I can't get it to work. The wrench supplied with the blade does not fit the 3650's arbor nut (the wrench is too small).

Does the 3650 have a bizaree arbor nut size? Can I get a deep wrench that WILL fit the 3650, or can I get a different nut so I can use the Freud wrench.

This is my first dado blade, any help appreciated.

Thanks,
    Michael

Do you have the wrech that came with the saw?
    Andy B.

Comment

??? Wrench with the Dado blades. I use a freud dado set (stack type) and the arbor nut suplied with the the saw. Therefore the arbor wrench that comes with the saw is used for the putting the arbor nut back on. The 3650 will except up to a 13/16" dado. Be sure whatever dado you use that the arbor nut has room to fit fully on the arbor in such a monor that the arbor thread is through the nut. At one time I found a standard size wrench that fit the nut but found the flat wrench that came with the saw to be most useful.

Comment

The flat wrench that comes with the saw will NOT fit into the recess of the dial-a-width knob.

Michael

Comment

I am just guessing here. Can you dial the width before you put on the blade nut. I do not have one and I could be way off base.
          SCWood

Comment

Originally posted by SCWood:
            I am just guessing here. Can you dial the width before you put on the blade nut. I do not have one and I could be way off base.
            SCWood
            I'm sure he could but that would take the most of the benifits of the "dial a dado" away.

I dunno how to help you Mike; I gave up on wobble dado's since they leave the arc'd dado.

Marcus

[ 01-09-2004, 10:27 AM: Message edited by: Marcus ]

Comment

the new dial a dado is not a wobble dado. However, according to Freud, you need to loosen the arbor nut before adjusting anyway. Does the TS arbor nut sit inside the dado set when installed? I knwo it is a metric size, but not which as the factory supplied wrench is good enough for me.

Comment

I called Freud this morning. As it turns out the 608 dial-a-width dada blade is NOT compatible with the 3650. The arbor is too short. The 608 REQUIRES an arbor at least 1.5" long, the 3650 is only 1 1/8".

Michael

Comment

The Frued 608 may not work as you say, but I borrowed a buddy's Craftsman 8" two-blade 48 tooth, dial-a-dado and it fits fine, can't run it as I don't have a dado insert for the TS3650 yet. But I DID mount it and verify it clears the table (w/o a throat plate, don't have it yet). You need to leave the outer flange nut off which the instructions with the blade say you can do if you can't get a full nut engagement with the flange installed (this probably differs from Ridgid instructions for the TS, you will have to decide what you want to do). If you don't want to run the TS w/o the outer flange, then you can't use this dado as you will not have enough (if any) thread engagement. If you leave the out flange off you can get full nut engagement plus about one thread.

The model is a Craftsman # 171.326680, Twin Blade 8-in. Adjustable Carbide-Tipped Dado. Cam ein a nice wooden storage box. The manual says that the arbor length MUST be equal to 13/16" PLUS the thickness of the arbor nut, and MAX RPM of 5500. The manual also describes how to mount the dado to achieve a flat bottomed dado cut, but I can't verify this yet as I still need the darn dado insert for the TS :-(

I believe he told me he bought it just before Christmas and it was about $80.00

Update: Above I eluded that Ridgid may not recomend using the TS3650 w/o the outside flange, after re-reading the manual they say it is OK to do so, here's a snip of the section about using dados from page 66 in TS3650 owners manual;

"The dado head is assembled to the saw
                  arbor in the same manner as the saw
                  blade. The arbor on the saw, is long
                  enough so that the widest cut that can be
                  made is 13/16" wide. It is not necessary to
                  install the outside loose collar before
                  screwing on the arbor nut. Make sure the
                  arbor nut is tight."

So, it would appear that it is OK to not use the outer flange if you can't get a full nut.

[ 01-12-2004, 04:36 PM: Message edited by: Bob D. ]

Comment

Just a thought but can you not make a throat plate out of Lexan or even tempered hardboard?

Comment

You are correct, but I think it is pretty sad that the manual and the store displays tout the accessories available and then you play hell trying to find them, TS3650 throat plate, band saw riser block, whatever, If they really want to market this stuff (Ridgid/OWT(owned by TTI Ltd), then they should have the accessories available when they bring the new tools out on the market.

Oh, and you would laugh you butt off if you read the stuff on Emerson's web site about their new comitment to 2-Day parts delivery, seems to go against the grain of what people are saying here on this board. Of course you can't delever in 2 days what you don't have on the shelves.

I'll be calling AGAIN this evening to see if I can get a part for my MSUV which has a manufacturing defect and I have been dreaming about since 27SEP03 :-(

Comment

Hope you get your issues resolved Bob. I can't understand selling products and not having accessories either. Makes no sense to me. I understand not having all parts such as main parts of a tool that may occasionally break, but simple stuff like riser blocks and mitre guages, and extensions should be easy to get. It's a gravy sale too once ya get a customer who owns YOUR EXCLUSIVE TOOL.

Just don't get it
                        Jake

Comment

Datamike

I don't have the Freud Dial-A-Width dado stack, but I just bought the Freud Super Dado 2 days ago. I have only made a few test cuts to see how well it works and I love it. It made super-smooth splinter free cuts in some oak plywood I had laying around. I can't wait until I actually have a need to put it to real use. If the Dial-A-Width didn't work out for you, I'm quite certain you will be very pleased with the Super Dado (and for about $100 less). Just my 2 cents worth. [img]smile.gif[/img]
                          Dave

Comment

I'm a new owner of a TS3650 and am looking for suppliers of dado throat plates. Some older posts suggested that Craftsman products would fit Ridgid saws but I've seen nothing posted since the release of the TS3650. There appears to be no accessories offered/described on the Ridgid website. My local supplier (Home Depot) hasn't a clue.

Al

Comment

Originally posted by TNHiker:
                              I'm a new owner of a TS3650 and am looking for suppliers of dado throat plates. Some older posts suggested that Craftsman products would fit Ridgid saws but I've seen nothing posted since the release of the TS3650. There appears to be no accessories offered/described on the Ridgid website. My local supplier (Home Depot) hasn't a clue.

Al
                              Al,

Congrats on the new TS, hope you enjoy it.
                              Is you have not already done so, I suggest you browse around in the Woodworkers Corner for some hints and tips on this saw and setting it up for best performance.

There are no dado inserts available from Ridgid....yet. Make your own is the best bet. The Craftsman insert will most likly not work, I would not try it myself, I'd rather make my own. There are numerous threads on this subject, even in recent days. Do a little through the past weeks posts and you will see that you are not alone in finding the insert from HD or Ridgid Parts.

Comment

Working...
                              X