X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forstner Bit Opinions

I’m looking for opinions on decent small Forstner bit sets. These would be used for general woodworking and usually in a hand drill or portable drill press. I currently have a 7 pc set of Porter Cable bits I think I picked up at Home Depot (1/4” – 1”) several months ago. They cut poorly. “Very poorly” (Need to rent an elephant each time to get enough weight on top of them to drive through a piece of wood) I have a 1 3/8” Freud (Diablo) for hinges and several other large sizes that cut great. All thoughts would be appreciated.
    Jim
    Jim

Re: Forstner Bit Opinions

Originally posted by JJCiesla View Post
    .......... I have a 1 3/8” Freud (Diablo) for hinges and several other large sizes that cut great. All thoughts would be appreciated.
    Jim
    I think you answered your own question. My first set of forstner bits was also a cheapo set. As the individual bits dulled, I replaced them with Freud bits. The difference is night and day! Another source for great quality bits is www.leevalley.com
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I too am a big fan of the Freud Forstner bits. I bought a cheapo set from Lowes a few years ago that lasted longer than I had thought they would. But the ones that did get used went quickly.
      Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

As I have a few sets of cheepo bits I believe spending some time sharpening them may be in order. Does anyone have experience sharpening these. I sharpen everything else so I might as well try the Forstners.
        Jim
        Jim

Comment

New cheapos work great, it's true! But quality ones work great a lot longer.

I picked up a Freud Diablo 16 piece set a while back at a garage sale for $80, and these continue to impress me, and get used on my important projects and hardwoods.
          I also have a cheapo "Woodcraft" set which I use for pine, MDF, and what-not. These work best in the drill press to get some force behind 'em.

Anyway, Rockler currently has some Forstner bit sets on sale. A 16 piece set for $35. Replace your often-used bits over time with better quality. Chances are you'll only need to replace 2-4 of the most common sizes.

Comment

Wood Junkie makes a good point - get the high $ bits in the sizes you use most often and go with the 'China' specials. Amazon lists the 16 bit Freud set on sale for $160 - $35 at Rockler makes sense! I have a set of 24 bits that I have had for 5 years and I have not used most of them. Would have been a waste to buy the "good" ones if they just sit in the box!

Comment

Just wanted to add a follow-up to my previous post...

One of the advantages of buying one of these cheapie/mid tier sets is that you get a great case to store your better quality bits as you acquire them. This goes a long way to preserving that bit, over throwing it in your toolbox or drawer unprotected.

Comment

I just took delivery of a set from Rockler for $10. 7-piece set. I'll be trying them out tonight on the drill press.

Comment

Working...
                X