X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Palm Sander Pads won't stick

My Rigid Palm Sander is almost new, yet the sandpaper won't stick. Is it the type of paper, or is there something wrong with the hook and loop on the sander?

Re: Palm Sander Pads won't stick

Don't have a clue re your problem. However the pad on my ROS lasted through two years of pretty heavy use. As I recall when it went it went quickly. I called Ridgid and they sent me a new one for not much $$, I think about $12.00.

Tom

Comment

Hmm. There should be two pads with your sander and probably two different types of sandpaper disks too. One is the hook and loop kind (velcro) and the other uses an adhesive back. They are not interchangable--that is one type of pad uses one type of disk and the other uses the other type.

I hope I am not being overly simple in my trouble shooting, so bear with me here, but unless the rough hooks somehow got removed from the pad on your sander, or you are not using the fuzzy backed disks, I would first guess that you may have the adhesive pad installed on your sander.

Is the sander pad smooth?
      Is the disk you are using "fuzzy" on the back?

Any other info you could give would be helpful too, if you can think of any.

Eli
      A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

My apologies - I meant to say my sanding disc won't stray on. I am using the hook and loop pad, and the sandpaper is fuzzy on the back. Could it be that I overheated the pad, causing something to happen to the hook and loops?

Comment

Originally posted by bstill View Post
          ........ Could it be that I overheated the pad, causing something to happen to the hook and loops?
          That is a distinct possibility. Too much downward pressure on the sander when using it can cause the pad to overheat and melt the little hookie thingamabobs on the pad. Sawdust buildup on the pad can also cause the pad to overheat which is why it's a good idea to clean the pad with forced air often.
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

You may be able to save the pad...First use compressed air to blow off all debris.
            Look at the pad..is it flat with smooth spots? If so you may be out of luck and need to replace it.

On the other hand, I have had some success by using a brass brush [NOT a steel brush as it's too aggressive]. you gently brush the pad to remove the debris embedded in the hooks. This should bring back a rough surface and allow you to get some extra use from the pad.

When you apply the sanding disc [fuzzy style] make sure you gently press it evenly over the entire pad.

When sanding let the weight of the tool do the work. pressing the tool down on the surface to sand will cause the sanding pad to overheat, wear out quickly and damage the sanding pad.

Cactus Man

Comment

I have over heated my sanding pad, Dewalt though. So yes this can happen, but you can also clearly see the problem just looking at it, let alone feel the pad. If you feel a difference in the texture of the pad, yep it is bad then. Maybe its a bad felt backing on the sand paper, manufacturers do screw up from time to time.
              Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

If the hooks in the pad are loaded up with lint, a file card will clean them. Use an exacto knife to rake the lint out of the file card.

Go
                Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Working...
                X