Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fence alignment issue when cutting 24" and wider.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fence alignment issue when cutting 24" and wider.

Hi,

I tried to search this forum first but could not find anything relating to my problem.

The stock fence on my TS3650 cuts perfectly straight up to about 24" wide stock but anything wider the fence goes to the right on the outfeed side of the saw.

In other words when the fence is off the right extension wing and only is on the rails due to cutting something about 27" 30" wide I get 1/16" to 3/32" offset to the right on the outfeed side of the saw. I have tried to adjust the bar that goes between the rails at the far right and though it seems sturdy I still get the offset not to mention the awful vibrating it does when the saw is running.

This offset is enough to cause blade burn on my stock and sometimes binding occurs and that scares me from a safety standpoint. Anyone have any suggestions just short of dumping the stock fence and rail system and moving to a Biesemeyer fence system? I hear the Biese system is expensive but I bet I won't have that offset issue with rails that thick.

Thanks
    Dan

Re: Fence alignment issue when cutting 24" and wider.

I can't think of any reason for this to occur except that one of the fence rails is bent.

What is your point of reference, that you are measuring this "1/16" to 3/32" offset" from?

Comment

I am using the right side miter slot as my reference point. the offset is at the out feed side of the saw. I do know the blade and the right miter slot are properly aligned because I used one of those dial tools to set it just a few weeks back.

Comment

Maybe try adding more spacers on the rod connecting the front and rear rails. I noticed this issue as well before I added some of those spacers it came with. In my case this only happened when locking the fence into place.

Comment

It appears one or both of the rails is bent or distorted. Take a string and pull it taut from end to end on the front rail. If there is a gap between the string and the middle of the fence, it is bowed. For the rear you will need a straight edge (4' level perhaps?) If they are bowed (and if they are I suspect the right end is bent to the front), you can try to strighten them, but I have not tried that as I have not had the problem.

Also check the white teflon/plastic pieces under the front of the fence on the "T". IF one or both are loose or broken/severely worn, that could be the problem, altho that should show up across the entire length of the rails.

Good Luck. If you identify the problem please let us know what it is.

Go
          Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Well I have tried all I could think of even adding extra spacers to the rod, checking the fence. The string idea proved that the rails are straight so I gave up trying after dealing with this issue for months and yes the problems happens when I lock the fence.

I just went ahead and got the Biesemeyer fence and rail system. It only took me a couple hours (including the time it took me to eat dinner) and I was up and running and the best part of all no offset or burn out even up to 30" rip cut.

I have two major projects coming up that invlove cabinets and book cases and I need to be able to cut the stock knowing it will cut straight and not have burn marks and be completely square.

Thanks all.

By the way, I will be selling the old stock rails and fence. anyone know what a fair asking price would be for listing this on ebay or craigslist? I could check the ridgid parts website to get an idea.

Comment

IIRC, the Ridgid fence and rail systems have sold on eBay for $75-$100.
              ================================================== ====
              All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

Working...
              X