X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we have too many WW tools?

My wife says my shop (Garage) has just about every tool thats come on the market and I should stop buying tools even though its my money and not the household budgit money. I said this is not true, because I don't have a Lathe, but thinking about getting one. So the question out to all you WW fanatics, is there having too many shop tools?

Re: Can we have too many WW tools?

My tools have outgrown my space! ....but now I just want more space!

Comment

I suppose that's possible, are there any tools that you don't use??

I have tools that I haven't used in a long time, but I bought them for a specific project or need and used them at the time. Then I may not use the tool again for awhile.

IMO, I only consider a tool a waste if I bought it and it didn't work out for the project I wanted it to. That has only happened once and I took the particular tool back and got something more appropriate for the task at hand.

Now, that's not to say that I don't have a few tools that I have purchased that I haven't used yet. I've got a couple of things that I bought for the future shop, that are still in the box. Hey, it's not my fault that the house keeps me so busy I haven't had the time to work on the shop!

CWS

Comment

My opinion is you can't have too many tools.
        You can have too little space.
        You can have too little time.
        You can have too little budget.
        You can have a wife who just doesn't appreciate the beauty of a brand new tool that you are desperatly trying to justify owning.
        ‎"I've never let my schooling interfere with my education" -Mark Twain

Comment

Wives are replaceable just like a broken tool...My 1st wife pitched a huge screaming fit 1st time I bought an expensive tool after we married..That happened to be a 40hp tractor..After about a month of using it she agreed yes it saved huge money from hiring the work done ..after that if I wanted a tool she always said just go get the thing.Current wife just says you use them and its your money buying them just let me shop for clothes...it works for us.
          There is a point I guess that enough is enough where I havent figured out.I'm in for a very long distance move so some of mine will go..waaaaaa
          Sam

Comment

Too many tools? and yet you don't have a lathe?!?! There's never too many tools. There's inferior and better tools. There's tools that don't work as good as they should. There's tools that serve multiple purposes, but are better if single-purposed (i.e. plunge router and router mounted in a table). Then there's jigs to make the tools work better. There's hand tools and power tools. There's never enough tools, but sometimes there's just enough to do the project. But just think how much better looking that cabinet would be with hand-turned custom-made wooden knobs!!
            I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

You can never have enough tools. If the wife starts to complain, just kindly remind her that all of your tools help keep EVERY part of the house neat and tidy. She usually backs down after realizing how important tools are.

Comment

Take her vacuum, dishwasher, blender, mixer, etc. away from her for a month and review this discussion.
                Poplar Branch Wood Crafts

Comment

My wife gives me crap every time a package arrives. The amount varies based on the size, hehe. I remind her that whilst I am indeed amassing quite a collection of tools, jigs, and what-not, what I'm really buying is time with her and the kids.

If that silly (to her) drawer installation jig seems like a waste of money, I remind her that it saved me about 3 hours of careful measuring and layout and I got the job done in 45 minutes. That's more hours of time with the family.

Each power tool is a purchase of efficiency. Right now I'm plying her to justify a drum sander.... just think how many *hours* of hateful-sanding could be saved and spent making more things... oops, I mean spent with the family.

Sure, you can make *anything* with a handsaw, chisels, and hammer... but would you really want to spend a whole week making dovetailed drawers!?

I assume, at some point, I will look over my workshop realm and find myself satiated with its contents. But for now (and perhaps always?) I think I still need a few more clamps, I want a better workbench setup, and of course that drum sander.

Comment

As long as you actually use them and can afford them, no. Some things you have to have, nothing else will suffice....lathe being one of those. Some are more "required" than others. Sure, you can saw everything by hand....but are you seriously going to?
                    Others are helpful, by either speeding things up or adding to accuracy. Depending upon everyone's level of skill and the time they have to spend, some are more necessary than others. Some, even if used rarely, are still really the best way to do certain jobs.

Comment

Working...
                    X