Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New standard sizes wood?

I recently bought a couple of pine 2x6" from home depot for door
    headers that I had already started with Lowes 2"x6" 's.
    The HD 2"x6" did not match the Lowes ones? The Lowes 2"x6' was
    1-1/2 x 5-1/2" which too me is a standard 2"x6" ...while the HD's 2"x6"
    measured less than 1-7/16" x 5-3/8" width ?

Think I just got a bad batch or is HD selling wood at new standards now?

Another little annoying thing is the HD in my area sells 1"x2" or 1"x3" with rounded edges?
    Lowes has square edges. I didnt notice the 1"x2" and 3"
    had rounded edges until I got them home. -duh I should have noticed!-

To me .. If I wanted rounded edges I would put the round on myself.

Anyone else notice this?

Re: New standard sizes wood?

I'll have to take my reading glasses and a pocket ruler with me the next time I go to Home Depot and check this. As best as I know a 2 x 4 is normally 1-1/2 x 3-1/2 and a 2 x 6 is 1-1/2 x 5-1/2. Most likely HD is selling junk lumber that's imported.

It might be time to forget the big box stores and head over to a real lumber yard. The ones near me sell far higher quality lumber and especially if you ask for high quality rather than low prices.

Everyone: Please do everyone on here a favor and the next time you visit Home Depot or Lowes try to measure some of their 1 by and 2 by lumber. Let's see what it really does measure. I have a bad gut feeling the big box stores are trying to sell junky lumber to make more profit, but then maybe (I sure hope so) this is a case of poor quality control on one batch. It will be interesting to see what several of us find out and especially in different areas. What a mess it would be for a contractor to end up with some in one size and some in another for a project. He would end up having to run it all through a planer and then rip it on a table saw. Most likely he would return it angry.

For what it's worth, I still have a little piece of an old 2 x 4 that's really 1-5/8 x 3-5/8 from the older standard.
    Last edited by Woussko; 01-25-2008, 09:21 AM.

Comment

I recently purchased a sheet of 1/4 plywood from lowes fully expecting it to actually be 7/32". Actually measured out to be 13/64". 3/64" is a huge difference with something that thin. So forget taking your tape. Take your calipers!
      ‎"I've never let my schooling interfere with my education" -Mark Twain

Comment

I you want junk lumber, buy it at a big box store. All you have to do is walk the aisle and look at it. The mill work is terrible, and it would seem the drying process used is passing each piece under a hair drier. You just would not have that much lumber that could be used to build curves and circles, if it were dried properly. I recently went to my local lumber yard and picked up 20 Douglas Fir 2x4s 8'. I told then I need them straight, and asked them to s4s the for me. I had them in about 20 minutes and paid 2.45 each, and they were darn near perfect. That is about .27 more that HD wanted for pine that you would have spent all day picking through to get a better grade of junk!
        Never use your thumb to check the sharpness of a spinning blade

Comment

I have no argument with hossyman's analysis. None at all. But for all the bashing box stores get I am reminded each time I pick through lumber at HD, the last Mom & Pop lumber yard here had a "no sorting" policy. To me that says if you are looking at it, and you put your hand on it, you bought it. Thankfully,that yard is gone.
          Steve.

Comment

HD lumber dimensions are usually all over the place. I've bought 2X4's that are 1 5/8 X 3 5/8, then next month they have 1.5 X 3.5, and they next month its 1 7/16" X 3 3/8". I've also noticed they occasionally have round edged 1X and sometimes its square. I buy all my wood from a lumber yard but big box stores have their place. Being open until 10pm 7 days a week is a lifesaver many times.

Comment

I do agree with what Velosapien said. I still buy most of my tools, nuts, bolts, screws etc from HD. And they are open when we need them, they just have a horrable selection of lumber products. Stevan was also right about many of the Mom & Pop lumber yards. The ones still in business have been forces to make up for price with better services. When I go into my local lumber yard, you would think I was building a mall and not buying wood for a project. And as I said in the first post above, I do not even have to pick through it myself.
              Never use your thumb to check the sharpness of a spinning blade

Comment

I agree with the statements that a real lumber yard is so much better, but sometimes there is no other option. Around here, there is no good real lumber yard. The closest is in Riverside, about an hour and a half each way in nasty traffic on overcrowded freeways. When you consider it costs between $12 and $15 per hour in gas to drive, takes a good three hours out of your day (time is money), it just isn't worth it unless you're buying a large quantity. I'd gladly pay more to get back that 1/32" on the 3/4" stock.
                Last edited by res057; 01-26-2008, 10:30 PM.
                ‎"I've never let my schooling interfere with my education" -Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                X