X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Treatment of the rnt80 Tablesaw Workstation

OK....Well, Here is my treatment of the rnt80 Table saw Workstation. Alot more simple as I did not need the router table. rnt80 was right....the cabinet construction was quite ingenious....sort of like T-lams. Very sturdy even though it's essentially made from 1/2" plywood. I now have plenty of storage and a rock solid tablesaw. A couple of thoughts:

1. I'm not sure whether it was due to a lack of planning on my part, but I have never made so many blade changes for a single project in my life.

2. The height of the saw in the plans is fully 6" lower than the saw is in its factory stand. This took some getting used to but I actually like it better now.

3. If you cut everything in the plans exactly as specified, nothing will fit together. It would be great if all plywood was 1/2" ALL THE TIME but it is not. I actually had 2 sheets from the same stack that were not the same thickness (by 1/32 or so). So after building the tablesaw base with a certain DADO setup I had to re-cut all the groves for the extension cabinet (see point 1).

4. rnt-80 was right about another thing, this cabinet is a monster.....very heavy. I would definitely use 6" casters if I could.

I know mine is not as elegant as rnt-80's version, but I am very pleased. This is something I have wanted to do for a long time.

Zeno

Oh Yea, almost forgot.......any one need my old Herc-U-Lift? I'll sell it cheap!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by zenophus; 01-26-2008, 01:55 PM.
    “Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world.” —Thomas Carlyle

Re: My Treatment of the rnt80 Tablesaw Workstation

Zenophus, nice job! Don't you wish you had done this about 3 years ago? I have to agree with you that bigger casters are needed. I made the mistake of putting four swivel casters on mine. The swivel motion makes this thing too hard to manuveur. I pull my station straight out into the middle of my garage so I'm going to switch the casters on the left side to regular straight casters. I might switch to something bigger while I'm at it. I'll have to see how that will affect my outfeed table's height adjustability. I'm glad to see that you've got it all up and going. Have fun with it and be safe.

Comment

Hey Zeno, Nice job

I suggest that you could use some of the open area below the right table for a saw blade holder.

Again, nice

Bill

Comment

Thanks guys.....yea I wish I would have done this from day 1. billmoy, I was trying to come up with a slide-out box kind of thing that sits between the 2 cabs for blade storage (I have quite a collection) with some kind of divided box with a lid. But yeah, I thought about that as soon as I mounted the extension cabinet.

Also, I forgot to mention how easy the drawers were to make...I really like how with the same setup all the grooves can be cut. Very good for utility drawers.

zeno
        “Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world.” —Thomas Carlyle

Comment

If anyone wants my old Herc-U-Lift for shipping they have 1 day to reply with private message.

Zeno

Comment

Working...
          X