X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabinet leg extension - ideas?

I could use some creative ideas here. Had to raise this counter and haven't come up with a clean way to extend the legs. The counter is z-shaped, about 18' total length, with continuous (epoxy seamed) silestone top and disassembly wasn't a viable option.

The stainless "cup" shoes are screwed to the floor from the inside. The legs are raised such that the leg now extends only about 1/8" into the shoes. (Note the now-exposed mortised and unpainted portion of the wood leg that was previously in the shoe.) The legs cannot be removed from the counter framing except by cutting them off, and the shoes cannot be removed from the floor unless the legs are cut away enough to get a screwdriver in from the top. There are 4 legs with this condition.

Question: Ideas on how best to extend the legs?

Thoughts I've had:
    1. Could cut the leg off at some point and remake the lower portion. Finished leg would not have to be identical to the original, but my concern is how to graft the new piece on in a way that is strong yet maintains the "delicateness" of the slender design.
    2. Fill the shoes with some sort of pourable filler. Could angle a couple of screws down through the lower leg into the filler for an anchor once the filler sets. Tough part would be filling the mortised lower legs flush with the painted area and stainless shoe in a way that will give a good finish.

There's gotta be a better way that I'm not seeing. Thoughts?

Thanks!
    Wade
    Attached Files
    Last edited by cc4005; 01-26-2008, 03:11 PM. Reason: noted pics in title

Re: Cabinet leg extension - ideas?

Maybe cut the old leg off just below the bottom of the shelf, then build a new leg from there down and reuse the metal 'shoe' as you call it.

You could do away with the taper from the shelf down on the new leg portion. To secure the 'shoe' to the floor install a drop-in anchor like a 3/8" Hilti and set it flush with the floor. Then get some 3/8" bolts and cut them so they can be turned in by hand almost flush with finish floor, maybe an 1/4 or 1/8 showing. Drill the bottom of you 'shoe' to fit over the stud. When you install the leg you'll have to lift it over the short stub but when the leg is set it will not slide if bumped around. You can back the stud out a few turns so it goes up into the bottom of the leg and secures it from being moved. You can us a narrow pair of pliers or a thin wrench if you were to file or grind a pair of opposing flats on the stud so you could wrench it.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Wade
      Could you put wood on each side mitered and tapered up say 6 to 8 inches or so from the floor up and then perhaps adding a decorative moulding on top to break up the transition ?

Comment

Wade, I think you could probably cut that leg right at the paint line and insert a piece of proper size, glue both ends and call it a day. I know you'll be gluing end grain but it should hold. You may even want to use a couple pocket screws and fill to provide additional holding power.

Terry

Comment

one Idea would be to slip some flat iron in the edges and screw (counter sink) them to the leg if you can put a filler in the "shoe" to support the flat iron, even jsut two flats on opposite sides, and if you want them pretty, use some body filler or plastic wood or epoxy type filler, and built it up sand it back to square and paint,

or drill a hole for dowel and use a block in the shoe, put some shim type filler on the sides to square it back up and sand and paint,
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

How about cutting the existing legs off up close to the countertop, remaking legs of the proper length and taper and then doweling the new leg to the existing " stub" you will have up top. Should be plenty strong with a dowel glued between the two.

Jeff

Comment

Thanks for some good ideas.

TerryD, I like your keep-it-simple approach. It's an idea that I had initially rejected due to strength concerns, but now I'm rethinking it. As you say, with a couple of screws to assist, it should be strong enough to handle the job. There is one leg that does not engage the intermediate shelf mid-way, so it would be a bit more at risk, but still...

I'll report back once I'm done.

Thanks again everyone.

Comment

Working...
              X