• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Ridgid can sell more tools.

How Ridgid can sell more tools.
    Sell tools online.
    Sell tools on the internet.
    Sell tools directly to the customer via computer.
    Sell tools by telephone.
    Here's a small list of companies already doing it.
    Amazon
    Garret Wade
    Mike's Tools
    Rockler
    Tool King
    Woodcraft
    Woodpecker's
    Woodworker's Supply
    Walmart
    This is your compitition!
    They sell Delta!
    They sell Jet!
    Don't say it can't be done!
    John
    Eastchester, NY
    "Common sense and education are highly compatible; neither is worth much without the other."
    -Donald G. Smith

With the exception of Woodpeckers, all the companies you listed are resellers. Woodpeckers does actually make some items, but their mainstay line is also a reseller line.

Apples to apples? I dunno, what manufacturer is successful selling on-line in this industry?

Dave
    not affiliated...

Comment

Dave,

Did you know that you can buy a GE Washing machine
      directly from GE? Go to their web site, WWW.GE.COM!

Did you know that you can buy ANYTHING that SONY
      makes directly from SONY? Go to their web site WWW.SONYSTYLE.COM

If Home Depot refuses to sell me a Ridgid tablesaw
      on their web site then I should be able to buy it
      on Ridgid's web site!

To quote my friend Rupert Murdoch,
      "The world is changing very fast. . .Big will not
      beat small anymore. It will be the fast beating the slow."

By NOT selling tablesaws on the Ridgid web site and by closing the Paris, Tenn. plant, Ridgid management showed us they're slow...

John
      Eastchester, NY
      "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds"~ Albert Einstein

Comment

Until the HD contract comes up for renewal, this subject is a dead horse beating. Obviously the contract calls for Ridgid to refrain from selling any tools online that are carried in the stores. The only exceptions are accessories and stands.

We've discussed this subject ad-nauseum and nothing will get changed until the contract is up.

All tool makers that sell to the low-mid price range buyer are moving overseas for production. Most "American Made" tools have components that are made overseas including the big names. It's a fact of life that we're just going to have to live with. There's no way to compete with the lower costs the companies enjoy where there are virtually no taxes and the workers work for pennies on the dollar.

Remember the Japanese cars of old? They were little better than Flintstone cars...now over half the driveways in our country have them. The quality will get better very fast. Good example is Grizzly....no one liked them a few years ago, but now it's a whole different story.

Personally, I hope that Ridgid does change their marketing as they are not enjoying the share they deserve in HD's and I'm sure they have a new approach in mind, but until the current contract expires, it's pretty much a moot point.
        Kelly C. Hanna<br /><a href=\"http://www.hannawoodworks.com\" target=\"_blank\">Hanna Woodworks</a>

Comment

I'm trying to play along, John, but failing.

So, I went the General Electric web site. First, don't put punctuation like exclamation points right after a link, the forum software goofs it up. Second, you could have saved me some searching by linking more directly to General Electric appliances at www.geappliances.com . Third, when I went to buy a GTS17BBMRAA, 16.9 Cu. Ft. Top-Freezer Refrigerator, the message I get is:

The following items are in your shopping cart.
          You can purchase your appliance online from one of several authorized dealers.
          In order to locate the nearest GE authorized online dealer, please enter the delivery ZIP Code.

In other words, no they don't.

Does appear you are right about Sony. To prove it, I need to check with my wife before I pull the trigger on this 42" Plasma.

Dave

Comment

First Kelly,

I understand what your saying but, why is Toyota
            building a new truck plant in Texas? here's the link http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/030205/clw006_1.html

Because they know that they will sell more trucks
            to Americans. Some people refuse to buy a car/truck/tablesaw built overseas or in countries
            that do not support our way of life. I am one of them. Sure I drive an Acura, but it's built in the Honda plant in Ohio and contains 95% domestic parts. Now, suppose we go to war with say Iraq or
            France, we could build tanks in that Honda plant in Ohio if we HAD TO.

If Honda, Toyota, Nissan, and Hyundai can build cars efficiantly AND profitably in the US then
            Ridgid should be able to build tablesaws in Paris, Tenn!

Second Dave A.,
            O.K. so you can't buy a washing machine directly
            from GE, BUT! - "You can purchase your appliance online from one of several authorized dealers.
            In order to locate the nearest GE authorized online dealer, please enter the delivery ZIP Code."
            Look at all the choices of dealers they gave you!'

If Ridgid gave us a choice, Home Depot or online sales, then Ridgid would be selling more woodworking tools.

Ridgid is making some really good machines,
            In the last two years I have purchased
            the TS2412, the JP0610, the EB4424 and just
            recently the TP1300. OK, I know, not all of them
            were made in the USA, but, I bought from a company
            that was at least building SOME of them here.

My next purchase will be a drill press, where
            do you think I'm look?

Until Ridgid trys to sell everything online, they'll never know for sure...

O.K. I'm done rant'in.
            Have a great day in the shop.
            John
            Eastchester, NY

Comment

I think car companies build them in the U.S. (or even in Texas, which is almost like the U.S.) because of import duties, don't they? I admit not having kept up with this in a lonnnnng time.

Dave

Comment

I do remember, 25 years ago, Datsun used to ship their trucks with the bed and other parts left off, then assemble them here, to avoid some sort of duties. But, as Dave A. said, I haven't kept up with that end or know what might have changed with NAFTA and the like. About Japanese cars assembled here, I find it interesting that they were able to disprove the old claim that American cars were inferrior due to poor American labor. Put in a different system and things, in regard to quality, sure seemed to change.

As to Rigid marketing---I'm sure they are aware of their options---but like Kelly said, their hands are likely tied with their HD agreement. There is no question they've not received the best support from HD. And I think it's a real shame because Rigid does have an evident policy to continually improve their tools, which is a plus in the market.
                Dave

Comment

Anyone have an idea when the HD contract is up?

Michael

Comment

Dave, for the strangest example, do you recall the Subaru Brat? Looked like a tiny pickup, but had seats mounted in the bed? That was so it could be imported under the car tariff, instead of the higher truck rate.

Pretty sure NAFTA doesn't apply to Japan, what with them not being in North America and all.

Ever hear about the scandal at headquarters Honda regarding U.S. built cars?

Dave

Comment

Ah, yes---the Brat---seats looked like great bird "targets." Knew it wouldn't be NAFTA, but seems there was some other deal with Asia, etc. Didn't hear about the Hondas! Know I sure like my Indiana Tundra

As to Rigid, loss of American assembly jobs is a done deal---as consumers, we can only hope that they won't drop their efforts at improvement of their tools. In the last 4-5 years, since leaving Sears, they've probably made more improvements in their table saw (3612) than the whole time they had it with Sears.

Speaking of Sears----it does strike me as a little odd. HD is obviously not giving good suport/merchandising/knowledgable employees, to the larger woodworking tools---i.e. Rigid---they seem to devote more space to mass displays of cheaper Ryobi tools. Yet, through this whole time, and with constant re-organizations, re-focusing at Sears, they still have large tool departments----while, like HD, mass displays of cheapie hand powertools, but they still devote large displays to their stationary tools. They face the same competition from speciality tool stores, as does HD, but they must see a value in tools, or like so much at Sears, that department would be shrunk down in favor of other lines with higher profit. [scratching head]
                      Dave

Comment

start selling ridgid woodworking tools a lowes!
                        Andy B.

Comment

Kelly outlined why all of the options already delivered cannot be implemented by Ridgid presently. But, I'll have just one last fling on this topic!
                          The type of product that Ridgid designs and manufactures, can NOW be built/manufactured in almost any country in the world. Why? because in most cases it is extremely low tech, whose basic rudimentary design goes back decades. The tools are electric motors with something on the other end that cut into wood. You can't get much more basic than that. Such low tech products have been moving to offshore manufacturing for the past 30+ years, as countries learn how to build them. What we retain here in our manufacturing base, are high tech state-of-the-art products, and those where high domestic volume and unfavorable import tariffs, together with a certain political visibility makes sense to continue to invest and build them in the US...auto's the prime example.

If someone comes up with a innovative hardware/software design for table saws!! then you'll probably see a return, for a time, to domestic production. Isn't that what's happening with the "Sawstop" or whatever that unique safety product is called. Once it moves into the realm that anyone can build it, then it'll be a candidate for offshore factories.

David

Comment

David, the SawStop saws are going to be built in Taiwan, last I spoke to the folks there.

Daveferg, the Honda story. This dates to when they first started building cars in the U.S., and to the best of my knowledge it is true, but I'm not an insider to know for sure.

All Honda executives drove Honda cars, anything else wouldn't look right. All Hondas sold in Japan were made in Japan, anything else wouldn't look right.

But, it was discovered that top execs were having their Hondas brought in from the United States. Seems there was a lower service incident on the US machines, as opposed to the domestic ones. Big scandal, much loss of face to the execs and the Japanese workers. Much gain of face to the U.S. auto workers, who you probably recall were catching the blame for poor quality in our domestic cars. Interesting, apparently the U.S. auto worker could build a good car after all...

Like I said, I don't know for a fact that it's true. I heard it from both U.S. and Japanese sources, though.

Dave

Comment

I thought you might ask that John...Toyota and GM are in cahoots, so most of the new trucks parts are made here. It's cheaper to make the truck here than to make it at home where the rent is higher and the import duties kill ya.

We're not arguing that the idea you have is wrong, but until the non-compete contract is renegotiated, it's not up for discussion.

Mike, I haven't heard when they are going to renegotiate things and I doubt we'd be told even if anyone here knew.

HD's has been disappointed with Ridgid's profit margin and very happy with Ryobi's. I've seen most of the Ridgid displays get smaller and the Ryobi's get much bigger. There's a reason for this. HD's has a lot of contractor and DIY homeowner traffic. Neither one is the target market of woodworkers, hence the slow sales of the woodworking tools. The guys at my store tell me it's been years since they sold a bandsaw or jointer. This is part of the problem.

Personally, I'm sticking with Ridgid tools no matter where they are made. My next one will be a bandsaw (probably in the summer. The router table insert is gonna come first so I can move the 2424 rails over).
                              Kelly C. Hanna<br /><a href=\"http://www.hannawoodworks.com\" target=\"_blank\">Hanna Woodworks</a>

Comment

Working...
                              X