Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Staining Mystery

Hi All,

I was finishing a maple mirror frame the other day. I had stained it twice with Dark Mahogany penetrating stain and put on 2 coats of poly. I had a small sand through on the face that I couldn't fix and it was bugging me, so I sanded it all off and restained it.

Much to my surprise, the new coat of stain ended up to be darker, fuller and more even than the first results. I could never get that kind of finish on maple by just staining, it was always lighter than I wanted and a bit uneven.

Does anybody know why this happened? Did sealing the wood with the stain/poly combo create this result? I'd like to reproduce it, but not sure what made it happen.

FSK

Re: Staining Mystery

It could be a couple things. Did the areas that you burned through show darker, or was it the whole piece? If it's just the burned areas they may be rougher than the surrounding area and will show slightly darker. Second I have never really stained, sealed, and stained again. However I have noticed the longer you leave the stain the deeper / darker it will get. This is just home production stain and lacquer advise.

Comment

I guess I read it wrong the first time. Sounds like you got a good even coat that you liked. Can't be the splotchy burn through I had first thought.

Comment

Sound to me that after you sanded the maple a second time you ended up with a more uniform surface. Hence the stain penetrated evenly.

Comment

I am SO happy this thread has nothing to do with underpants!!!

Comment

Working...
          X