Refinishing Toilet Seat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refinishing Toilet Seat

I used some toilet bowl cleaner on my toilet seats that I obviously shouldn't have and as a result the finish on them is peeling. The seats are apparently some kind of molded plastic and the finish must be an epoxy of some sort. It's pretty thick and feels something like thin paper when it peels off.
    Does any one have a clue about how to peel off the rest of the stuff and what to use to refinish them? Being a diligent sort I naturally got both seat and lid on both toilets before I discovered what I had done. How's this for a tough question for the refinishers amongst us? I can tell you it's a pain in the *** to me.

Blind Bill

Re: Refinishing Toilet Seat

I can tell you what not to use. When I was a kid, my Mom refinished the bench seat in the outhouse with some kind of varnish while it was raining. That stuff never dried! For months, every time I got up from the bench, I either left some skin or came away with a coat of finish! Really painful in the winter!

I'll bet the finish on those seats is a powder coating. Works real well on most plastics excluding polyethylene and polypropylene.

Doug

Comment

If you do a search on toilet bowl cleaner ingredients, at least 10 percent of the solution is hydrochloric acid, and they note the rest as "inert ingredients - whatever that means.

I don't know what long term effect that would have on your toilet seat - whet(if the pealing is any indication) the stuff was able to be fully rinsed off the plastic or whether it will continue to affect it.
      I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Might I suggest just buying a new toilet seat? I'm not sure if the cost of that would be worth trying to refinish it.

On the funny side, I remember reading a rather funny poem about "Momma" not being able to use the toilet seat because the paint never dried. Wish I could remember it, as it was quite funny... and perhaps appropriate for the situation at hand.

Sorry this isn't more helpful,

CWS

Comment

There is no finish on them to start with, good chance they are polypropylene and the peeling is just what part of that absorbed the acid, and now reacting.

Like CWS said head for the hardware store and buy the cure.

Comment

bill, as far as i know, the plastic seats are just molded plastic and don't have a top coated surface. the wood seats are either a painted or sealed surface.

the top of the line soft close toilet seat made by toto or kohler are in the $30.00 range. these are great as they never slam and don't fall.

even a cheap plastic seat is under $10.00. the cheap molded wood ones are even cheaper.

if you're really determined to fix your old seat, i would attempt to use a buffer and polish them.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Well by chance I recently purchased a new toilet seat myself. And was suprised that there was an actual instruction sheet on how to use it correctly.

The sheet claimed that the seat should only be cleaned with soap & water and nothing else. It said that some bathroom cleaners if not all of them would ruin the finish on the seat.

Unless you've got one of those fancy japanese imported toilet seats (you know the heated ones that talk to you), I'd say your probably better off heading down to lowes or home depot & picking up a new one. Most of them sell for less than $30.

I simply can't think of a good way to refinish molded plastic that will leave the surface as smooth as it was previously.

Comment

OK, OK I give up. I'm off to HD on a toilet seat hunt. I was hoping I could avoid the capital outlay and use the savings to get a new router bit or two but no luck struck. Ain't it the pits?

Bill

Comment

Actually in this case, it's probably the $#!T$.............HEH HEH

Just keepin' the humor clean...............
                  I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

B B

I used to have a painted wood seat that I sanded and repainted. That was a big mistake as the paint came off and stuck to me. This was after allowing more than enough drying time. Needless to say that seat became history real fast. Maybe you'll get lucky and find a nice comfy new seat and be happy you replaced the older one(s).

Comment

Working...
                    X