Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Does My Router Table Leave Marks On My Wood?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Does My Router Table Leave Marks On My Wood?

I have a Wolfcraft 6156 router table that when I use it has a tendency to leave dark streaks on the wood that I'm routing. This table has an aluminum top with stamped steel side extensions. I keep both the top and the extensions well coated with Johnson's Paste Wax. Can anyone suggest what might be causing this? I'm thinking that it could be a reaction between the wax and the aluminum but really don't know if this is the case. Anybody?

By the way, for many other reasons than just this one I would recommend that anyone thinking of buying this table to look elsewhere.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Re: Why Does My Router Table Leave Marks On My Wood?

If the anodize has worn of the aluminum, oxides form that paste wax may not prevent from coming to the surface. I had a similar unit with a cast aluminum top. The longer I used it, the more oxide was wiped on my wood. I was never able to completely get rid of it.

Comment

Hey BD - Any chance of adding a laminate top of some sort over the existing table...like formica? Or just rebuilding the RT top from another material?

Comment

hewood, my intentions are to build one but something always comes up and it gets put on the back burner. I was just hoping someone knew of some sort of a way to stop the problem until I get around to building me a new and better one. The one I have is just not worth putting any time or effort into.

EDIT: OOOOPS. Sorry man.
        Last edited by BadgerDave; 02-02-2008, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Ouch! Fix the typo BD!

...Maybe primer and clear coat would give some quick n easy temporary help...?

Comment

I would try wiping it down with naptha or thinner to remove all the wax and give it a few coats of rattle-can clear lacquer. Rewax after it dries. If it quits marking the wood then you know the problem. If the aluminum is the problem, topcoating with a marine quality epoxy (2-part type that has the resin and catalyst in separate containers) would stop it for quite a while, but at the cost of that stuff, may not be economical. Rattle can coating made for appliances will probably last longer than the clear lacquer if you want to just apply as necessary until you get that round tuit to build a better one.

Go
            Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

How about a high quality paint? Surface prep may take some time though.

Comment

Dave, This product might be worth trying.
                http://www.orisonmarketing.com/corro...luminator.html
                Jim
                Jim

Comment

I used to have the same router table. I put a few pieces of 2" blue masking tape lengthwise on the top. The tape will have to be replaced often, but worked for me...

Comment

Thanks Newman, that sounds like a quick and easy fix. I'll give that a try.

Comment

Hello Dave

Penetrol, a paint conditioner may work. I use it to prevent rust on tools, especially those that I do not use often. Clean the surface, brush on and let dry. It will wear off over time and need recoating.

Comment

billmoy, another idea that I might just try. I've used Penetrol for years on my shovels, rakes and other garden tools and the stuff is great. I thought about coating the router table with it but wasn't quite sure if I'd lose some of the slickness that I now have. Have you tried using the Penetrol and paste wax on an aluminum surface?

Comment

Badger Dave,
                          I have the same router table with the same problem. I did the same thing gofor recommended and it works well. I do have to repaint it about once a year to keep it coated.

Eddy
                          Last edited by ewils91; 03-02-2008, 02:40 AM. Reason: spellin

Comment

Hi Dave.

I haven't tried penetrol and paste wax on aluminum. It does work well on Cast iron drill press tables.

If you have a scrap of aluminum angle or bar, give it a try and see if it is slick enough

Bill

Comment

Working...
                            X