Miter Saw Replacement Blade

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Miter Saw Replacement Blade

It sounds like the problem is solved. But don't forget to get the faucet when you pick up a new blade. lol
    Jim

Comment

Thanks for all the input. If I get a bigger CMS do I have to get a bigger faucet?? It's not being able to find a 8 1/4 saw blade but finding the right saw blade. I still haven't found the exact replacement for the existing blade which has the small triangular teeth like you would find on a crosscut hand saw. I'll spend some time tonight looking at the sites posted. The owner's manual is pretty specific about the type of blade to use. Thanks again.

Comment

Saw today that Sears has a Craftsman 10in laser MS (#21233) for $140 ($80 off). Anyone have any comments on this saw?

Comment

You wont be disappointed with the freud

Comment

How important is having the negative hook? I found a 40T DW blade at Lowes, but it has about 10 degree positive hook. The manual says to use only negative hook.

Comment

The negative hook is to minimize the chance that the back edge of the blade (rotating up) will pick up the wood, causing all kinds of excitement. If you ever had a circular saw kick up and back when it gets bound up, pushed crooked, or hit a loose knot, you have seen this in action. However, with a circular saw you have the shoe which prevents the wood from coming up, and the CMS and Radial do not. If the wood is secured, you will minimize the excitement, but the saw motor may still kick up and back at you in hard or thick wood or from a loose knot.
              I have been using my 8 1/4" sliding CMS for over 10 years without a negative hook blade, and only had the problem of a loose knot causing the blade to start throwing carbide teeth at me, or had too small a piece to safely work become a richocet. I don't think a negative hook would have saved me from my stupidity in these cases. However, as the blades get bigger and the saws more powerful, the chance of a serious mishap increases.

JMTCW

Go
              Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Thanks Go. I don't use the MS for much more than 1 inch stock and the ocassional 2x4. 1x6 is as wide as it will go and at this point all I'm cutting is pine so the DW blade should be OK. As I try more involved projects, I may have to upgrade to a larger MS.

Comment

Originally posted by tchads View Post
                  How important is having the negative hook? I found a 40T DW blade at Lowes, but it has about 10 degree positive hook. The manual says to use only negative hook.
                  Per Freud's Charles McCracken:
                  "Negative hook isn't as critical for a straight CMS, but is recommended for a sliding CMS and a RAS."

Comment

Working...
                  X