Miter Saw Replacement Blade

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miter Saw Replacement Blade

I have a Delta 8 1/4 compound miter saw that needs a new blade. I can only find that size in a Forrest Chopmaster blade that is almost as much as I originally paid for the saw in 2000. Any ideas where to find a good but less expensive saw blade or should I just suck it up and buy the Forrest?

Re: Miter Saw Replacement Blade

I don't know what the Forrest sells for but the Freud LU85R008 is $60.46 delivered.
    ================================================== ====
    ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Couple more choices:

The Freud D0840X is only $28 shipped....won't cut quite as clean as the LU85 or Chopmaster, but it might be "good enuff". The D0860S is $42 shipped and will cut a bit cleaner.

Comment

I happen to own that miter saw and I need to let everyone know that the blade must be 8-1/4 inches diameter. With an 8 inch blade it has trouble sawing full width up to the fence and an 8-1/2 inch blade scrapes the guard. With that in mind I run the junky all steel fine tooth Delta blades which I was able to order directly from them. I looked around some time ago and found many so called 8-1/4 blades are not really 8-1/4 inches in diameter. If I find a good one, I'll post. You must be sure the blade has either 0 degree or up to -5 degree hook angle. Do not use a carbide tooth blade in this saw with a positive hook angle or it's all too easy to get hurt. Some time back I did find a few all steel very fine (like 200 tooth) steel blades by Oldham that work nice in it for cutting small trim wood.

Again, this saw needs a blade that measures exactly 8-1/4" plus or minus 1/16 inch. I tried a good many blades that were either really 8 or 8-1/2 and feel the need to warn people do NOT use them. They won't work.

The Delta blade which comes with this miter saw is 34-544

If you'll be using a miter saw much, I would strongly recommend upgrading to a good new 10 inch model rather than spending big money on a better blade if one can be found for it. I'm on the hunt for a great deal on a good 10 inch sliding compound miter saw and it will be either a good Bosch or Makita. The others I personally would pass over.
        Last edited by Woussko; 02-02-2008, 09:59 PM.

Comment

I've looked at the Freud blades and they are either 8 or 8 1/2 inch and don't look much like the blade on the saw (small teeth, no gullet). The Forrest doesn't match it either. I didn't know the amount of negative hook allowed so I was just looking for a blade that matched the orig. Thanks for the model number, maybe I can get one from Delta. I use this saw much more than I though I would and really hadn't planned on replacing it. Can the blade be re-sharpened?

Comment

Originally posted by tchads View Post
            ... I didn't know the amount of negative hook allowed so I was just looking for a blade that matched the orig.
            Negative hook isn't as important for a straight CMS, but is recommended for a sliding CMS and a RAS.

...Is your saw a slider?

Comment

No, just a CMS. Went to HD to get a faucet and came home with the saw.

Comment

I have an old B&D saw that size, and use a Dewalt DW3184. Amazon has them for $29, but I don't recall paying that much for mine locally:
                http://www.amazon.com/DeWalt-DW3184-...137840&sr=1-33

Comment

No, just a CMS. Went to HD to get a faucet and came home with the saw.
                  Yeah...those are a must for leak prevention!

Comment

The hard part was holding the saw under the sink to cut the pipe. Anyway it stopped the drip into the sink. (I did bring the faucet home too.)

Comment

Well, I've been unable to find the replacement blade for the Delta. Looks like I'll just HAVE to buy a new 10 CMS. Any suggestions? I did a search but came up with too many threads.

Comment

Well, I've been unable to find the replacement blade for the Delta. Looks like I'll just HAVE to buy a new 10 CMS. Any suggestions? I did a search but came up with too many threads.
                        How's this blade look?
                        Name:  d0ef5c206be65e6fea3712b3f9d180e6.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  61.7 KB

$11. (might even include shipping ). I tried the 10" 40T and thought it's a heck of a buy for $25.

Comment

CMT Saw Blades at ToolCorral (Home)

Here ya go you will find all the blades you need in your size and they are on sale. I have used CMT for years now and they are a wonderful blade for the money.

Comment

I have, and use it a LOT, an elderly Craftsman 8 1/4 slider... contractor series.

it is a heavy pup ..... cast iron base and it feels as if it weighs more than my Hitachi 12" double bevel NON slider with laser.

I also have another elderly cast iron base Skil (back when they made a much better machine than now) 10" NON slider ... along with a handy dandy---- a keen little bitty Craftsman 7 1/4 miter with laser.

I have had NO difficulty locating and purchasing 8 1/4 blades for the past ten years or so ...... most of the time I get them at my local Sears store.

now, I don't make a living with these tools ... just enjoy making sawdust ... AND I definitely ONLY buy blades on sale....

just to made sure as to the price I went into the shop and glanced through my unused blades still in the box/carton/sleeve/package ---- ALL carbide tipped ...

7 1/4 ---- had three dual packs 24 tooth from Sears ..... all @ $7.97 (with tax just a tad over 4 bucks ea)

8 1/4 .... had four singles ..... 1 @ ea $4.00 Craftsman 24 tooth ... 2 @ $5.49 ea Craftsman 36 tooth and 1 @ $7.00 Frued Diablo 60 tooth --- have a Diablo on the saw right now so I expect it was same price

10 ..... three combo packs from Sears ----- 24 and 36 tooth @ 12.97 (with tax about $6.50

12 ... I currently have no new blades as I've not found any on sale yet as the saw was a Christmas present

on the 7 inchers I normally use them on one my Makita circular saws until they start to smoke ..... lol ..... but on another Makita c/s I keep for more fine cut use a 36 or 40 in that really gets little use compared to the rougher cutting one

the 8 slider I keep three blades handy on the stand ----- the 24 tooth I use it until it smokes .... a 36 or 40 for smoother work and a 60 and a 90 for finer cuts

back to your query about trouble finding the 8 1/4 ..... I have had NO problem at all for the past ten years ...... but, as I said I only buy blades on sale and most of the time I'll clear out the small inventory my local Sears has on them when I catch them marked down.

another thing .. I wouldn't think about a 10 slider as I am hard pressed to classify the move as an upgrade

the little 7 in miter I find to be very handy to easily make square cuts on 1x4 and 2x4s ... weighs in very light and nearly as easy to use as a circular

Comment

I have a DeWalt 40t 8 1/4" blade on mine now. The local Lowes still carry the DeWalt 8 1/4" in 24 and 40t. (and yes it is 8 1/4"). The 24T sell out pretty quick, but they usually have the 40T on hand.

Go
                              Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Working...
                              X