Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What will you purchase with your Tax Refund?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What will you purchase with your Tax Refund?

Ahhh....the time fast approaches when my loan to the Government will be repaid without interest. That, to me, is the time of year to purchase a tool or accessory normally verbotten by the old bank balance.

I am thinking about a couple of things:

1. INCRA TS-III table saw fence to go with the new TS Workstation.

2. A new digital camera to document the work.

My wife seems more inclined to go with number 2. She also wants me to build a window seat in the bedroom and replace all the window treatments. I am leaning more toward number 1 and she can use her half to buy materials for her idea.

Still working on her, though.....

Zeno
    Attached Files
    “Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world.” —Thomas Carlyle

Re: What will you purchase with your Tax Refund?

I like the way you think, new tools are always fun especially when they don't come with the guilt of having to pay them off for the following 12 months. If you do go with a digital camera, check out the Canons. From the Powershot series all the way to the digital SLR, these things are nice cameras and competitively priced compared to other brands with similar rated quality. I have bought several for gifts and have two of my own. My original 1.3mp point and shoot Powershot is heavy compared to todays standards, but it has held up for at least 6 years. I use it to document my construction projects, but its still a good camera, even better than those similarly rated of other brand names. Just thought I would share my 2c, I have had great experiences with Canon.

Comment

REFUND???....I haven't seen a refund in 5 years....Uncle Sam doesn't want me but he does want my money

The wife wants new siding by springtime. Looks like a good time to refinance and cash some equity out....again

Comment

I was thinking about getting a jointer but my mouth has other ideas - just had a root canal and some addition work was needed so there goes my refund. Bummer too cause after paying the last two years I am getting money back this year.

Comment

Originally posted by CFSPAWN View Post
          If you do go with a digital camera, check out the Canons. From the Powershot series all the way to the digital SLR, these things are nice cameras and competitively priced compared to other brands with similar rated quality.
          I have been looking at the Rebel XT. It seems to have the features and capacity I'm looking for at a reasonable price. I don't know, though, that INCRA fence sure has alot of features that I could find useful......and it's PRETTY!!!

Zeno
          “Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world.” —Thomas Carlyle

Comment

The XT is a good camera, I have a XTi 10.1 mp that I just love. I really get into photography, so it suits my purposes well.

Jeff

Comment

That is what we have, the Rebel XT, but its the 6.0MP version from a few years back. If you think you might be taking a picture to blow up to billboard size, you won't go wrong with 10MP. Between projects and the kids we have reset the counter on ours once already meaning we have taken over 10,000 pictures with it, and we are halfway through it again. If you have previous Canon Rebel, the 35mm version, the lenses are interchangeable, so you can save money there. We bought just the body from beachcamera.com and saved at least 400 over the big box store price. Be sure to get high speed flash card since the Rebel take such large high quality pictures. They can be 6-10MB a piece and you need a fast card so you don't have to wait 10 secs in between each shot for it to write to the card. It has a buffer, but you can fill it if you are taking a lot of shots in succession. Hopefully I will have the TS3650 soon so I can use my camera to take a nice picture of one of 20 different projects I have planned.

Comment

Since I gave the boss so much money this year, I actually get to split my refund into about 4 different uses. Guess that's the good side to forgetting to change your withholdings...sucked having no money all year though.

1. Paying for all materials to put up my deck.

2. Pay off the credit card, or most of it...

3. Wife wants a new bedroom suit. Doubt I could convince her to let me build it all and spend the money on new tools (like a 3650, a router, table, and bits...ohhhh, and a lathe!)

4. Whatever is left over, don't see it happening, will hopefully go to savings.

Comment

Refund??????? What the heck is that? Got a new job with the state 2 yrs ago and havent had a refund after. I'm still paying off last years. I think this year I will go single and zero. M/0 just isnt getting it. But if I was getting a refund, a new Lathe is the only thing I can think of to put a smile on my face. Havent played with a Lathe sense high school.

Comment

I am buying "W" a steak dinner with all of the fixings. And a very expensive bottle of wine. George must be my friend and I just don't know it
                    ________
                    Buy marijuana seeds
                    Last edited by newtowood; 02-10-2011, 11:04 PM.
                    It is amazing how long it takes to complete a project you are not working on!

Comment

Well, it looks like I will be indirectly buying all those great things for you. You all are going to have to wait for a while, because I am not filing until April 14th.
                      Never use your thumb to check the sharpness of a spinning blade

Comment

I'll give the Rebel XTI another thumbs up. Love ours.

I am buying a new computer with my refund check. In fact I pulled the trigger last night. My old computer is 7+ years old. I have been overclocking it and squeezing ever last bit of speed out of it I could. Now its time for a new machine that I can teach my wife how to edit video on.

2Gigs Ram - MEM 1Gx2|A-DATA ADQVE1A16K R
                        Solid Video Card - VGA PNY VCG8600GXPB 8600GT 256M
                        250Gig Hard Drive - HD 250G|ST 7K 16M SATA2 ST3250410AS
                        Quad Core Proceesor (2.4ghz) gonna OC to 3.0 - CPU INTEL|C2Q Q6600 2.40G 775 8M R
                        Decent P35 Motherboard - MB GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L P35+ICH9
                        ATX mid Case - CASE XION|XON-101 BLK 450W RT
                        20X DVD Burner - DVD BURN LITE-ON|LH-20A1L-05 LS %

Comment

Finally got the old Shopsmith resurrected and dedicated to lathe work. The refund this year will go into a 4-jaw chuck for it, and some lathe tools (I've been making my own that are OK, but I'd prefer something a bit longer, and it'd be nice to have some models around so I know I'm making mine right!!).

Josh, that puter setup looks pretty spiffy! Is there a reason you prefer the Gigabyte boards over Asus? I've always been an Asus fan, but my hubby likes the Gigabyte boards. Either way, the quad-core CPU is a great chip. Post some pics of the beast while you're putting it together.
                          I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Getting a decent refund (Thank god for kids )

Purchasing a new house (hopefully we can sell ours, going on the market on March 1st)

Going to put all the tax refund into the house (furniture and what not)
                            Last edited by Drain Medic; 02-04-2008, 10:32 AM.
                            The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Originally posted by Drain Medic View Post
                              Getting a decent refund (Thank god for kids )

Purchasing a new house (hopefully we can sell ours, going on the market on March 1st)

Going put all the tax refund into the house (furniture and what not)

go west

i've got work lined up for us and even for your wife

rick.

no snow and no freezing pipes in a t-shirt today
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X