X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mahogany

In another post, I stated that I wnat to build a table for my deck. Another wood that I may want to consider is mahogany. I knbow some people use this as decking, what about for a table. I can buy South American mahogany at the dimensions that I need. Will this wood last against the New England elements? What would be a good sealent to put on it?

Thanks for your input in advance

Jim

Mahog makes very nice furniture but it is very dent prone.
    A good marine varnish like epiphanes will do well for finishing.
    No Bull Dust Just Saw Dust

Comment

You stated you want to "build a table for my deck". I use African Mahogany for a number of projects and it is a great wood.. but for an outdoor project, I would use redwood, or better yet, a nice stain on cypress. Cypress is very weather resistant and not preferred by creepy crawlies. It is also very easy to work with, it will be very stable and durable.
      Bob Sr.<br />Father of Bob-the-Builder

Comment

I was thinking of cypress, but can only get 4/4 stock. I want to use a minimum of 5/4 for the top, and 8/4 for the legs. Don't want to take it in in the winter, and I don't want it to blow away in one of our hurricanes either. I'll look around again for thicker cypress, but I think that it is going to be mahog. Thanks for your in put though.

Jim

Comment

Why not build the support structure out of pressure treat and the top (visible) part out of what ever you choose. Just read an article in wood mag that Ipe (pn "ee-pay") is a 'great choice for outdoor structures' (show a picture of a deck...
          This is kinda sacrilegious for a woodworking forum but have you concidered any of the manufactured 'wood like' products like EON, Timber Tech etc? More expensive but look great and never ever need to be stained

Comment

I really want this piece to stand out. This is something that I can possably make in production, as a puny part time shop can do. People at work are interested in how this turns out, and may want me to make one for them. I really perfer to use quality lumber, with out using PT. Using PT on the under carrige is a good idea, just not what I'm looking for. Besides, I never worked with mahog befor, and this will be a great project for that. I'm still looking to find the stock in cypress, yet still no luck. Cypress is another wood I have yet to work with.

Jim

Comment

Have you tried this site? It found suppliers for Cypress in 35 states and 2 provinces
              Woodfinder

Comment

try this site too. has photos of various woods and gives properties of each.

http://www.hardwood.org/

Comment

Hey Bob, you might find this interesting. Go to the website below and you can order a free CD that show you different species of wood with different stains and provide information on each about shrinkage, grading ( with pictures) etc. Have a look at the link it describes it there
                  Free Hardwood & Finish Specifying CD

Comment

Working...
                  X