Best 14" BS for the Buck?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best 14" BS for the Buck?

I am looking to buy a band saw and would like some advise from some of you that own one.

I have read many reviews about the Ridgid BS and I don't like what I read about it, it has alot of problems with Vibration and tracking issues although the price is right, I don't want to pour money in to something that is going to have to be replaced in six months.

Has anyone had experience with the Rikon 14" ? it is quite a bit more expensive than the Ridgid. What about Delta?

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Best 14" BS for the Buck?

I bought the Delta 14 (28-276) which had lots of lousy reviews on Amazon- although the lousy reviews were mostly older ones. I decided to buy the saw I could afford and then purchase the add-ons later. I paid $399 for the saw at Lowes and have added the Kreg Fence, Carter Bearings (awesome), the mobile stand (I have a small shop) and the riser kit (bigger is better, right?). In total I spent $840. I am very satisfied with the saw- it was good before the add-ons, now it's great.

And I have not expereinced any of the problems that people referred to on Amazon. In fact I have no problem standing a nickle up on the table from start up through power down.

Whatever you decide to do, seriously consider the Carter bearings upgrade as part of your cost. They are expensive, but they are superb. As they say, "quality is remembered long after price is forgotten."

Good luck with your search. Sometimes I think the search and purchase of a new "major" tool is one of the best parts of this hobby.

Tom

Comment

Depends on which 14" Rikon BS you're talking about.

The Rikon 10-325 would definately be a great choice but I'm not so sure about the 10-320. Neither of these saws have the ability to add a riser block however the 10-325 with 13" of cutting height would be fine but the 10-320 with only 6" could limit what you could or couldn't do.

One BS that consistantly receives high marks is the Grizzly G0555. You might want to check that one out also.
      ================================================== ====
      All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

Addd the Craftsman "Professional" 14" (Catalog 0922401N) which is very similar to the Rikon 10-320 (it's disputable whether it comes from Rikon or from Rikon's supplier). Primary difference is that the Craftsman depth of cut is 8". Priced at $500, it's currently on sale for $470.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...+inch+band+saw

CWS

Comment

Look closely at the Powermatic 14" bandsaw. Right now there are special offers - $100 rebate and free riser. Woodcraft is also having their 10% off, might be able to combine them.

Check Tom Hintz review, especially the video, http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/pm14bsrvu.html

Comment

Okiewoodhog,

I just bought the Ridgid 14" BS and found it to be very nice. While not top of the line I have had no vibration problems and find it much better than the old Ohio Forge that I had years ago. I thought long and hard about it and while I could afford to go more I chose not to.

I have the Ridgid Drill Press and Table Saw and both of those are very good machines so far. I plan on getting the planer and jointer before the end of the summer also.

Comment

I just went through the same thing and ended up with the craftsman pro 14" bandsaw. I got it during the craftsman club event and paid $422 plus tax. Even though I havent used it yet I am very happy so far, solid machine and personally I think is one of the better looking saws in this size.

Comment

I recommend the Grizzly 14" extreme series...great saw!

Comment

It appears that the Craftsman Professional 14" has gone away. (the one that looks a lot like the Rikon) It is no longer in the catalog and I can't find it on the web site. My local store still has the display model, but I can't speak for what may or may not be in stock.

CWS

Comment

I can recommend the Rikon 10-325. I've only had one problem with mine - the starting capacitor doesn't like being below 35 degrees F. The saw won't start, like the capacitor isn't in the circuit. They may have fixed that by now, and I will probably replace the one on my saw, but I don't work well below that temperature anyway!

I've resawn some really thick soft green maple with the 10-325. It cut it without much effort.

Doug

Comment

I have the Grizzly G0457 and really recommend it. Its a great saw.

http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2008/Main/95

I also have the Ridgid, and after a few simple mods, Its a great saw also. Mine had bad tracking problems and after replacing the tires with Urethane ones, that fixed the problem. The tires were $30. I havent had any vibration problems, but I beefed up the stand before using the saw very much. I would recommend this saw for light duty/hobby use. Its not a professional saw, but will do most of the things a home woodworker would ask of it, if you realize its limitations. Its not going to ever be a resaw monster, but for $350 or so, its a good deal. If you are looking for other recommendations, Grizzly or Jet have good 14" saws like the Ridgid style. Delta is having too many quality issues as they switch to asian manufacturing, to get my money.

Comment

Working...
                      X