X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nickel test on 3650

Does your Ridgid 3650 pass the nickel test? Mine does not. I went a couple of months without using my table saw. I think the belt is stretched a little. My saw vibrates pretty hard when I first start it. I runs smooth after a couple of seconds though. I know a lot of people like to put link belts on their contractor saws, but I though the belt design on the Ridgid 3650 was supposed to help fight vibration. Have any of you put a link belt on your 3650? If you have, did it help?

Re: Nickel test on 3650

Without changing out the OEM pulleys on the 3650 you can't use link belts on your saw. It sounds like your pulleys may not be lined up correctly. A realignment may just solve your vibration situation. Your 3650 should pass the nickel test with flying colors.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

And for us dummies in the crowd, what is the nickel test?

Comment

Originally posted by Stagecoach View Post
        And for us dummies in the crowd, what is the nickel test?
        Hey Stagecoach...I had the same question some time ago. The "nickel test" is where you put a nickel on edge on the flat table of your tool (band saw, table saw, etc) and see if it'll stay on edge. If it does, you're golden (and can brag to your heart's content). If it falls over, you have to spend hours of tedious adjustment work to get it to stay straight. There is an advantage to having your tools steady in that your cuts are that much straighter.
        I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Mine won't even pass a block of wood test. Anything I put on my saw's table will "walk" to the edge, or to one of the holes in the extension tables, and fall to the floor. Usually takes less than a minute.
          And the pulleys are aligned best as I can tell.
          The cuts aren't too bad, though.

Comment

I had to go try the nickel test on my 3650 after reading this, And it passed. I balanced the nickel and then started the saw, the nickel stayed put. I am surprised. Great saw.
            -Thirsty

Comment

Heres a good read for the nickel test:

http://www.newwoodworker.com/nickeltest.html

Comment

I have checked the pulleys, and they are lined up. I have looked my saw over well, and I can't figure it out. I realize you can't put on a link belt with the stock pulleys. Has anyone here replaced the pulleys and then added the link belt. I don't like the rough startup on my saw. I think it is a problem that could get worse.

Comment

Working...
                X