Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NewB question

To all Woodworking pros,

I am in the middle of doing downstairs renovations in a split entry, it has a ledge that follows the top of the concrete foundation going around the outer walls of each room. I want to leverage that feature and create room lenght shelving with a decorative touch.

I have never used a router before but was hoping to give the pine a nice edge, I was curious if I could use a 6A spin saw 1/4 inch collet with router attachment (I already own) or would I find myself discovering that it's severely under powered? If so this may be only something I use once in a blue moon, any router recommendations?

Srgallan

Re: NewB question

Well... if it has a 1/4" collet it would be worth a try at least.
    If it does not have the power you could always use the bit
    in the new router you would need to buy. ...ahy!

Comment

If by a spin saw, you mean something like a roto-zip, yes, it will work. Depending on the bit you are using, you may have to do it in two stages--don't try to remove too much wood in one pass. A little testing on some scrap will tell you.

Comment

Yeah similar to a Roto Zip, MasterCraft (Canadian house brand), fairly large and quite powerful little beast.

I'll give it a shot and if not successful see if I can buy a cheap router by chance I can't borrow one.

Thanks for the replies.

Comment

Most of the stuff I design and build has a simple bullnose. Mostly 1/4 but sometimes 1/8 or 1/2" radius. A crown molding, for instance might be simply a 3/4 by 3/4 glued and pinned to the top of the face of a 3/4 x 1-1/2. I use a "spin-saw" to bullnose the edges. It has a square base. I would be happier with a round base, though, then I could follow templates. As long as you are not removing too much material, these tools make good small routers that can be used one-handed.

Sharp bits are important, as always.
          Make sure you cut it good and short, you can always splice a piece in.

Comment

Working...
          X