X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heating The Workshop

I am in the process of having a 24 ft. x 24 ft. addition put onto the back of my garage. It will be divided down the middle to make a shop area 12 ft. by 24 ft. and the remaining section will be divided into 2 rooms that will be 12 ft. by 12 ft., one of which will be a painting and finishing room and to store paints, glues, varnishes, etc. All exterior walls will be insulated. The garage door on one end of the shop will be insulated, as will the exterior entrance door. The painting room will have a door and ceiling on it to prevent as much as possible any sawdust from getting in. I need to have heat in the painting room 24 hours a day in the winter here in Michigan. What would you folks recommend for heating this room? I first considered a small electric heater but that scares me a little having it run at night, even at a temp just above freezing, because of potential fire hazard. And what would you recommend for the 12 ft. x 24 ft. actual shop area? Should I just get a propane wall mounted heater and keep the thermostat on low at night? I think if I shut off all heat overnight, its just going to take that much longer and more fuel to bring the temp back up to a working temperature as opposed to setting the furnace at say 40 degrees for overnight. Would you ever consider using a wood stove in your shop or do you think that is too much of a fire hazard potential? Looking forward to hearing from as many of you as possible. Thanks. Murray
    Goldenwing

I have installed a radiant tube gas heater in my garage and love it. In fact its one of the few approved by code for residential garages.It's vented thru to wall for both exhaust and combustion air. The idea behind radiant is that your heating objects, not air, which in turn heat the room. This however won't do much for your separate rooms unless you can duct some air circulation and blower. The one I have is the RE Model.
    http://www.superiorradiant.com/

Greg

Comment

<----jealous

Comment

If you're looking at an area that is used pretty much everyday, you should consider radiant in-floor heating (if the slab isn't poured yet). One of the many advantages over any kind of forced-air heat is that you won't be blowing sawdust around, especially in your finishing rooms. The heat-up/cool-down times for this kind of system is over several hours, so it may not be the best for an area that is used sporadically.

Also, watch out for the wall heaters that say vent-free. They've got an oxygen sensor built-in so they are not dangerous (to your health), but they can create an incredible amount of condensation.

Jim

Comment

I too am in the process of heating my new shop which is in a three car garage. We made the shop area (essentially the 3rd bay) an extra 3 ft wide and 11 ft deep so it is considerably larger than a standard garage. After much research I'm using a direct vent natural gas heater that installs on an outside wall. Like the radiant heater mentioned above it pulls outside air for the combustion chamber and vents directly. Therefore, even though it has a standing pilot light there is no fire hazard for the shop dust and fumes. It cranks out 55,000 BTU and costs around $1000. Well worth it for toasty feet.
          - Tim

Comment

Working...
          X