Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Table Saw

Jake:

On Sunday I finally ?adopted? the TS2424LS I have been drooling over for so long, and I thought I?d send you a report. The short versions is: 5 Stars.

The most difficult part of the whole operation was getting the thing home. The guys at Home Depot had to use a fork lift to retrieve from high shelf, and they used the fork lift to put it directly into my truck. Once, home, there was no way I was going to lift the box, so we broke it down into components in the driveway and humped the components into the basement workshop with a two-wheel hand truck.

Assembly took three sessions of 2-1/2 to 3 hours per session. However, that amount of time should not be considered typical: intentionally, I took my time, dawdling at various points to inspect and familiarize myself with the equipment. I also did all of the alignments twice, as much for experience as to be sure of getting them right. In fact, I was lucky, as the blade arrived from the factory perfectly square to the miter gauge slot. The motor-to-arbor pulley alignment was way off, but bringing it home was a snap. The rip fence was close, but not perfect, but the adjustment mechanism is particularly easy to use, which should facilitate checking and squaring it on a regular basis.

I do have one minor bone to pick with the setup instructions, which call for aligning the table wings to the table with C-clamps, with the saw upright. On my saw, the table extensions are a smidgeon shallower than the table base, and the instruction, which will actually align the bottoms of both the wing and the table, necessarily assumes that the two are identical in height. My ?fix? was to use a small steel shim (about 50/1000ths) between the underside foot of the clamp and the wing ? inserted so as not to contact the underside of the table itself. This forced the wing to lift to the point where the tops of both the wing and the table were aligned by the upper foot of the C-clamp, and the two are not perfectly flush.

By the time I declared the saw assembled, it was a bit past bed-time, but I couldn?t resist plugging it in and making a few cuts. First observation: the saw is quiet and vibration-free; indeed, the shop vac (which I had connected to the dust collector) is twice as noisy. Second observation: the cuts were gorgeous, square and effortless; the motor seems to be more powerful than any other contractor?s saw I?ve ever used. Third observation: I think the design of the blade guard is far superior to others I?ve observed, which means that, since you can remove and re-install the guard without a lot of hassle, it will be used. Fourth observation: the Herc-U-Lift is a dream; in my shop, space is limited, so that I not only have to move the saw to make room for other tools, but I will have to shove it around from time to time depending on what I?m doing (rips for long boards will require one orientation, while panel cuts will require another). Fifth observation: I really like the design and placement of the switch, which is not only handy to the hands, but can be easily bumped off with the knee. Sixth observation: the dust collector actually works!

Despite my leisurely pace and attempt to be careful, I ended up with some extra parts: three sets of square-head machine screws, with nuts, and a handful of lock washers of various sizes. I assume the former are for mounting an auxiliary fence (you should have take credit for that in the instructions), and I assume ? please tell me it is so ? that the latter is just an excess of caution on the part of the packer.

A few play cuts is, of course, not much of a test, but based on what I?ve seen so far, you guys have produced a winner.

Please do not complain about the extra bolts! The instructions require 1/4"-20x3/4" square head bolts (a rare animal,indeed) to attach a face to the fence. The only place that I found the bolts was through the courtesy and timely response of Jake. It is good to see that after a few other comments by others that the bolts are included in the package. (Hopefully as a response to this forum.) If this is truly the case than the consumer does have a voice with Ridgid!

Comment

'Twarn't a complaint. Just the story of my life, having extra parts left over after assembling something; usually not a good sign.

Comment

Well RG,

I'm glad to hear your happy with the saw. I'll pass the note on about the extensions. After you've had a chance to use it some, let me know what you think.

Jake

Comment

Well, this might not qualify as "using it some," but I'll pass along two experiences that have reinforced my satisfaction with the saw.

My wife wants a new table for eating on the porch. She couldn't find one she liked in the stores, and, having seen an episode or two of NYW, declared "Building a table is easy; you do it for me." The command demands obedience not measured by the accuracy of the premise.

Since I figured the whole affair would be a flop, I didn't want to waste great lumber, so, for the table top, I bought three inexpensive red oak stair treads. The first thing I had to do was rip off the bullnoses. Then, since I don't have a jointer, I ripped a quarter of an inch off the other edge of each of the boards. The cuts were glassy smooth, and when I glued up the boards, you couldn't see the glue line! Wow. (Of course, the whole project turned out better than I had expected, so now I'm stuck with a table with a red oak top, which even a little stain and four coats of poly can't make pretty.)

Second, I needed something to treat the exposed edges of some maple-faced plywood for another project. I wasn't impressed by anything I saw in HD, so I grabbed a four-foot piece of maple 1x4 that was laying around, and I ripped a couple of 1/4" strips to use as edging. No fancy jigs; just a feather board and a push stick. I slid the board up against the blade and the fence up against the board, then removed the board and slid the fence about 3/8" to the left. Once again, the strips came out glassy smooth and perfectly dimensioned for their entire length.

The only other table saw I've played around with much is a 30-year old Rockwell (yup, "Rockwell")Unisaw, which is in the carpentry shop of the boatyard where we keep our boat; as far as I am concerned, my TS2424 will do everything that Unisaw will do and just as well.

Jeekers, Norm will be on tomorrow morning at 0730; I better go sabotage the TV.

Comment

RGad,

I've had similar experiances with NYW. When I try to explain about all of the time consuming things that are left out for the sake of expediting the show I get one of those "here's another excuss" looks. Watching Norm can be a real two edged sword at times. In addition to the safety disclaimer Norm makes at the start of each show, I wish he also made some kind of "time warp", tool abundance, dedicated workshop, and overall skill level disclaimer to help back me up at those times.

BTW, what blade were you using to get those great cuts?

Wood Dog

Comment

I was using the blade that came with the saw. Now I know that most people say that it is a low-end blade, and I'm sure I'lll end up with a collection of better blades at some point (just as I have for my circular saw), but the thinking was that, while I was playing around and making mistakes, I might as well make them with the "bad" blade. In fact, I'm not sure it's so bad. I do, though, have to get some of the gunk you use to get the oak stuff off.

Comment

The "gunk I use is "Simple Green"...safe, non-corrosive, non-toxic, and environmentally safe (pronounced "pour down drain ). Works great, inexpensive too!

PS. I love my TS2424 too!
                - Tim

Comment

RGad,

I have had my saw for about the same time as you. I have only gotten to make a few small things, but I have really enjoyed it myself. I used the spare bolts and made that sacrifical fence tplank described earlier. It it really helpful when cutting dados and working with the fence close to the blade.

Enjoy the 2424!!

Jamie

Comment

Thanks to all; where did you get the gunk?

Comment

I regret this post before I even write it, but hey it's all in fun, right?
                      At least non of your wives are calling you little Norm, or are they???? She even does it in public............ at the tool store even aughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...........
                      Dave
                      It\'s not the quantity or quality of your tools that matters....<br />It\'s all in the firewood that\'s left over.....

Comment

she'll call you michael andretti on the way to and from the store, get pissed off when you spend too much time in the store (by the way my idea of "too much time" and hers must differ by at least six or seven hours) and then proceed to call you little norm when your workin (but she will call it playing) and then proceed to tell all her co-workers and your neighbors that all you do is make sawdust and firewood. A man can never win. At least its a helluva lot of fun making "sawdust"

Comment

RGad, around here you can find Simple Green at either the supermarket in the cleaning aisle, or at the home improvement center, again where the cleaning products are kept.

Dave

Comment

Dave: Thanks.

I guess I'm lucky, my wife doesn't call me Norm or Mario. She did once suggest that I'd better change my voter registration to the Home Depot store to avoid a charge of voter fraud, but I considered that mild.

Bob

Comment

My wife calls me Norm . . . but hey, what choice do I get?

I guess its better than "hey, baldy!"
                              \". . . and only the stump, or fishy part of him remained.\"

Comment

Working...
                              X