Attaching legs to workshop table

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attaching legs to workshop table

Am planning on building a pair of tables for my very limited area workshop, one for woodworking, one for car stuff (like rebuilding differential or tranny, etc.). I really like the design for the table top that Sgt. Beavis posted - gluing up layers of oak plywood to a suitable thickness, then edging with solid oak.

However, I don't think I'm going to attach my table to the wall as did Sgt. Beavis (then again, maybe I will). So I will need to attach permanent legs to them.

Have noticed that all the tables, both work tables and furniture tables that I have seen plans for have the top simply screwed and glued on. I was thinking of cutting the tops of the legs into a big, square tenon and cutting matching holes or mortises in the bottom of the top. Does anyone know why I should/should not do it this way, if I am careful and take my time? Will it make the table more solid and stable?

In any case the table will also have aprons, also mortised/tenoned into the sides of the legs and screwed/glued to the bottom of the top, and supports toward the bottom of the legs between the two legs on each short side, with a single, long support running between the two lower side supports.

The tables will only be 4' in length but will also have a 2' drop leaf at the end so they can become 6' long when needed. Would like to build removable/drop leaf router table on to woodworking table too.

Opinions, comments?

Might be more of a PITA to cut the M/T joint than its worth. I really don't think you will gain any added stability and using the bench for automotive you want to keep the top as thick as possible on top of the legs or the pounding may crack the top where the mortise is. Also you may want to consider building one larger bench, use some sheet metal to cover the plywood when used as an automotive bench so oil does not soak in and then transfer to your woodworking or even some tempered hardboard that you can remove for woodworking

Comment

Scott, not sure what FLA is like but oak is twice as much as Ash and stains up just as nice.
      save your self a few bucks.

Brook-sie - I use to work at CFB Trenton - nice to see someone from that part of the world, hope all is well. You would not belive how cheap it is to start up woodworkin here in the good ol' US of A.
      Mick Chambers<br />Keller TX<br />buyukan@yahoo.ca

Comment

Hey Mick, all good up here except Peterborough. Got 8" of rain in 12 hrs!! only 50 miles NE of here but we only got about 2" in 2hrs, Guy behind me had a 6' wide moat runing around his house because all our yards drain in his but no damage. Real strange to get rain like that around here as you know. If you are interested here is a link to the news footage.
        News Video of Peterborough Flood

I know what you mean about the price of tools, I try to drag something home with me whenever we go on vacation or if I am down there for training with work.

Comment

I hate to get off topic but love talking shop with Canadians - I did see the news coverage, I still have my expressVu satellite (keep that on the low down).

I feel as bad as hell when I think of how cheap it is her to get a TS and I know if I was in Canada I would never even have thought of it.
          my saw was $450 to start and then $100 back from Ridgid + 10% off because I asked for it. grand total was $305 and only 7% tax on that! now that I am into woodworking I am finding that I see things that are really cheap compared to Mastercraft - but then again I love Canadian Tire!
          Thing is that you have to pay more for tools but I had to pay $35 for sheet of plywood! most likely $25 up there. And their is no maple to be found here in Texas.
          stay dry.

Mick
          Mick Chambers<br />Keller TX<br />buyukan@yahoo.ca

Comment

Working...
          X