Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TP1300 Roller Cleaning

Hi All,

I have searched the forum for this subject and very suprisingly have not found anything of substance on this issue. So, the story goes, I recently ran about 60 bf of bloodwood through the planer and there was a significant amount of dust that was gumming up the works (bloodwood is particularly vile in that the saw dust is like talc...it gets EVERYWHERE and aggregates like glue). I decided to clean out the whole unit no holds barred, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how t turn the *%#*&! rollers without turning on the unit. The manual says nothing on this issue. Is there a way to completely clean the rollers without dismantling the entire unit? How on earth does one turn the rollers? I can't believe this has not come up before.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,
    Zeno
    “Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world.” —Thomas Carlyle

Re: TP1300 Roller Cleaning

I can't specifically help you as to how to spin the *%#&*! rollers as I don't own a Ridgid Planer but have you tried calling Customer Service and asking them?
    ================================================== ====
    All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

Hmmmm.........I thought I would ask the people whom I trusted first...the people who have used the tool far more than any tech support weenie, and then if I did not get a satisfactory answer I would, as a last resort, call tech support.

I thought that was what this forum was all about.

Heh...

Zeno
      “Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world.” —Thomas Carlyle

Comment

This actually did come up in a few threads scattered around, and the general consensus is that there isn't a way without dismantling the motor from the drive system.

I clean them with an oversized stiff nylon brush on a 6" handle.... with the motor running..... An alternative is to switch the motor on and off in quick succession to wipe the rollers down with mineral spirits or whatever. This has worked great for pine, oak, maple, walnut, etc. I haven't planed any bloodwood (yet).

PS- I love Bloodwood. It's my number one seller for pens. But you're right, it's an insidious mess.. smells nice, though.

Comment

I had a problem with one roller and it "had" to be turned without turning the machine on. I ended up raising the cutter head as high as it would go and then turning the cutter head by hand. I did not remove the knives so it was a very "dangerous" procedure. The rollers are geared to turn at some ratio to the cutter head so it is just a matter of how many turns it takes but the rollers do move, albeit very slowly.

Comment

Working...
          X