X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.5" male/male fitting

I'm trying to connect two female 2.5" standard ridgid parts together. I need a short, 4" pipe or fitting that is male on both ends. I can not find this size pipe off the shelf. short of getting pipe that is too small and using duct tape to make up the differnece, can somone tell me how to get a piece of pipe that has the same size fittings and the standard 2.5" ridgid hoses (male end). thanks.

Re: 2.5" male/male fitting

I have almost no idea what your trying to do,

but I am guessing your looking for a short section of pipe of a desired size,

machine shop,
    steel supplier,
    you can get nearly any size you can think of or if necessary if this is an odd item, have a piece turned out to the correct size,

could try other types of tubing, exhaust tubing, conduits, in my machine shop I have used "couplers" to make small bushings or other as it was the correct size,

If all else fails and a PVC type pipe can be used, one could turn a wood plug out and heat a piece of PVC of the selected thickness, and after heating in a oven put the plug in the pipe and expand it to the desired size,
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by mvestel View Post
      I'm trying to connect two female 2.5" standard ridgid parts together. I need a short, 4" pipe or fitting that is male on both ends. I can not find this size pipe off the shelf. short of getting pipe that is too small and using duct tape to make up the differnece, can somone tell me how to get a piece of pipe that has the same size fittings and the standard 2.5" ridgid hoses (male end). thanks.
      Is this what you're looking for?
      http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...t%20collection

There is also a similar item that instead goes on the outside of your standard 2 1/2" end (which I believe is tapered to about 2 1/4" OD. Woodcraft carries them, in addition to the item I linked above.

Alternatively, you could take a shop vac extension piece and cut it down to 4" long. The female connectors would then fit inside each end.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

The size of shop vac fittings are confusing but I think 2.5 is a nominal dimention.

For the female, the ID is about 2.25" or just bigger. Thus the OD of the male needs to be about 2.25".

the splice I"m looking for is about 2.25, but its slightly tapered i think as well. so i'm looking for a shop vac style splice, designed to fit into the shop vac fittings. I guess there are not many people who have wood tools with shop vac fittings and need to adapt them to standard dust collection sizes (3 and 4" hoses). its been very hard to find the right thing.

Comment

mvestel

Are you trying to connect 2 shop vac hoses together? If yes, this should work for you.
          http://www.shopvac.com/detail.asp?id=193

Also you might like to look this over while you're at it.
          http://www.shopvac.com/dept.asp?id=14

If you don't see what you want at Home Depot, check at Lowes or ACE Hardware.
          Last edited by Woussko; 02-14-2008, 07:08 PM.

Comment

I'm trying to connect two female shop vacume fittings together.

If you really want detail, the dust collection goes from a 3" hose down to a 2.5" reduce at the tool. On the tool is a female fitting for the shop vac nomial 2.5" hose. my shop vac hose male fits perfectly in this fitting on the tool. I've puchased a 3 to 2.5 inch redcuer, but the 2.5 inch side ALSO fits perfectly into the male side of a 2.5" nominal hose.

I thus need a male/male 2.5 inch splice. but because its a male of nomial dimenions, the actual OD of the male is 2.25 and tappered.

I guess there is not much of a market for putting duct collection on tools with shop-vac standard sized fittings...very suprizing. but I just can not find it.

machinging it is an options if i want to spend this time/money. i am not ready for that yet.

thanks all.

I"m hoping the
            http://www.shopvac.com/detail.asp?id=194
            works...i do NOT need a coupling. couplings are female/female.

thanks.

Comment

Can you use a neoprene or rubber plumbing coupler? Not really sure of the exact name of the part, its a rubber like sleeve with a clamp at each end. You may have to shim the end with some tape.

Comment

I guess there is not much of a market for putting duct collection on tools with shop-vac standard sized fittings...very suprizing. but I just can not find it.

thanks.
                There are adapters that do this, but they typically go rom 4" down to 2.25", such as this reducer fitting #144534 at Woodcraft. http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=899

The other way to do it is use a short piece of 2.5" DUST COLLECTION hose #142622 (not shop vac hose) and a 2.5" clamp at each end. Woodraft item #140606
                http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=3946

The 2.5" hose will fit over the outside of the connector on your tool. And the 3" to 2.5" adapter you already have will fit into the hose.

Comment

What you want is a VT2511 sold at Home Depot. If you do a search of there site the photo is wrong. It is a 2 1/2 to 2 1/2 hose connector. I have one setting in front of me now.
                  SSG, U.S. Army
                  Retired
                  K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Originally posted by TOD View Post
                    What you want is a VT2511 sold at Home Depot. If you do a search of there site the photo is wrong. It is a 2 1/2 to 2 1/2 hose connector. I have one setting in front of me now.

It appears the VT2511 is a Female Female coupling part and is made for connecting two MAle parts (like as it mentioned two hoses). you mentioned the photo is wrong...is this in fact a male/male splice for connecting two female parts (not hoses, but say two attachments together?) if so, mabye its right. But from the write up is seems like a Female Female coupling. please let me know what you think.

Comment

I have used short sections of straight radiator hoses, to connect parts or pipes together,
                      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                      attributed to Samuel Johnson
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I was struggling to connect my Ridgid WD16650 shop vac to my DeWalt DW7350 planer. The two fittings were close to the same size and one would not plug into the other. I found this thread, which gave me some ideas, specifically the ideas about plumbing fittings. I dug through my "Random Fittings" box and found this clamp used in plumbing, see pictures. It's a corrugated metal sleeve with two hose clamps on it. It is flexible enough to allow minor differences in the sizes of the fittings, which worked perfectly for me. I think these also come with a rubber hose fitting inside, which might work even better.

This is just a temporary setup, but it allowed me to try out my new planer, and it's way better than duct tape (my favorite tool). Thanks for the ideas, just thought I could contribute a little, even tho this thread is old.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X