81" without supports?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 81" without supports?

Question, I'm building my first work bench. I'm using 2x4x8 upright for the table top.. From the inside, leg to leg, width ways will be 81". Is that too much space between legs without middle support?
    Chizl

Re: 81" without supports?

If your putting the 2x4s on edge and only doing woodworking it should not be a problem. If you will be working on anything heavy, I would put a center support.
    info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Assuming you have some overhang on the ends, it sounds like you have about an 8' bench. Regardless, if you can move the legs in (without any major design changes), move them in where they are 1/4 the length of the top in from each end. That will give even support for the whole top (1/2 the top centered on each leg set). If they are pine or SPF (spruce, fir or pine), they will probably move more than hard wood with moisture changes regardless of where the legs are unless you seal them both top & bottom (all sides if they are just bolted together, not glued).

Just a thought

Go
      Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Thanks for the responses.. Yes, it's an 8'x26 1/4" bench..
        http://www.chizl.com/aspuploaded/workbench2.jpg - 3D cad of my design

I will be building furniture mainly so nothing too heavy. I wasn't going to use bolts, nails, or screws. I was leaning more towards using 3/4 dowels throughout the whole bench along with a lot of external glue. It has an overhang of 3 1/8" that way I can use clamps along the edges if need be. However, I think I'll take your advice and move the legs inward.

Anyone have any suggestions or concerns about how I'm building this? My first work bench, so I don't want to screw it up.
        Last edited by Chizl; 02-16-2008, 09:27 PM.
        Chizl

Comment

I've made some changes, by slopping the legs, giving it more support from wabble and the table top.. Shown in the image above.
          Chizl

Comment

That looks pretty good. I'm not so sure about sloping the legs, though. You may eventually want to add a drawer or a shelf or cabinet underneath. The drawer would be difficult to mount with the legs sloped as they are. It would also be difficult to do a shelf. A cabinet would be darn near impossible.

You might be better off with straight legs, and add a mid support. A front stringer would help to pull everything together, too. If you hold the front legs and stringer back about 6", you would still be able to pull a stool or chair up for those times when you can sit to do stuff. It's not often you're sitting down, however. Most projects are too big to make it comfortable to sit and work on them.

I like the large front vise. You'll want to drill a series of holes on the bench in front of it to accept bench dogs. Using these, you can hold large flat pieces on the top of the bench for sanding or whatever. Use the vise for one end, and dogs on the other side. I have recessed a plate for the Kreg face clamp in mine as well. It's rather handy for all kinds of holding. It'll hold one end of the piece while I glue the other end. Kind of like having an extra hand.
            I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

There will be holes throughout the top, I just haven't added them yet.. I was still working out location of legs before I do so. If you notice from the pic, I have some in the back 3" apart just to test location..

Here is what I would like to do and let me know if this may not work. I had the legs straight, but that left 81" of space without middle support. I want to make this sturdy, but I also want the middle open so I can put the smaller table and the bottom part of my craftsman toolbox under the bench for when I not working with them. With the legs slanted, I can move the 81" down to 67", which I'm pretty comfortable with saying the 2x4x8 upright should not have a tendency to warp in the middle. They will be held together with the help of 2"x3/4" dowels and a lot of glue.

Shouldn't that be enough?
              Chizl

Comment

Working...
              X