X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anybody built plantation shutters?

Hi, new here but old everywhere else....

I want to build interior shutters for my house, those guys blew me out of the water with a quote. I have 4 5' x 8' windows, they wanted $1200 per, and there's a bunch of others 5' x 5' and 4' x 5'. Anyway, I have a near new TS3650 to work with along with a nice drill press. I have a homeowner grade router but no table.

Looks like poplar frames and basswood slats. A local wood vendor has the elliptical basswood slat stock for about $1/ft.

Question: I don't really have much experience with the TS, can I get good enough cuts with it or do I need to get a jointer? Local HD has Ridgid 6" jointer for $399. The 3650 has an new 80 tooth Freud thin kerf blade in it now. The project I bought it for involved panels of 3/4" birch plywood, cuts were pretty clean.

question: I'm thinking about using biscuit joints at the frame corners, have a couple decent clamps. does anybody think these would be strong enough? Or do I need to get into mortise and tenon joints?
    I could buy a mortiser for my drill press, but like the idea of the alingment benefits with the biscuit joiner.

question: some of the nicer shutters I've seen have the edges of the frames beaded. Is there some kind of reasonably priced table accessory for the 3650? I looked at a couple mentioned in other posts here, but they push $300.

I'm looking at this nice shutter build write-up. , anybody see anything wrong with it?

Thanks to anyone who takes time to answer. I'm pretty impressed with quality of this board and the guys on it.

[ 08-10-2005, 03:59 AM: Message edited by: tmoble ]

I have not, but I have wanted to. I did see a post several months ago on another forum where a fellow had made them. They looked awesome. You may want to ask about them there, or do a search.

http://www.bt3central.com/forum/default.asp

Hope it works for you.

Comment

I went to that site and tried to find the post. Wasn't lucky. Sorry.

Comment

yeah, I went out to bt3central and looked around too. lots of stuff, but no shutters that I could find. Thanks for taking time.

Comment

maybe you can find an old shutter somewhere and take it apart to see how they made it, then just copy that plan

Comment

I emailed the person that did them and have a couple of pics. If you want to see them email me and I will email back with his email address. They are quite nice.

Comment

Here's a website of a guy that made his own, with step by step instructions.

web page

[ 08-11-2005, 09:25 PM: Message edited by: Lorax ]
              Lorax
              "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Lorax,

That's the site I linked to above. The guy really did a nice write-up. Thanks for taking time to look it up.

Comment

Working...
                X