X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobile bases...

Well, I finally decided to get a jointer, going with the Jet (sorry Ridgid) for a few reasons. Big thing is, should I go with the Jet Mobile Base for it or is there a different one that's better? I've heard HTC is a good one, but I don't really see alot on bases. Ideally, it would be nice to find one that doesn't just lock the wheels, but sits down on pads (kind of like the herculift does with the 3650). Looking for input, much appreciated.

Re: Mobile bases...

check out general machinery. they have a unit that is reasonably priced and i use it on my ridgid jointer. if you search these threads, there is one guy who mated a herculift to teh joionter, although it is not designed for that application. it really looks different.
    http://www.general.ca/pagemach/acces/universal_new.html
    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

I put my Jet on the HTC dedicated base. I'm very happy with it. It also comes with a leveling foot with a quick release. I've found it to be very stable. Just be sure to position the swiveling wheel with the leveling foot on the out feed side where the most downward pressure is exerted.

Ern

Comment

Last month I bought four Porta-Mate universal mobile bases from the BORG. Just finished installing the last one over the weekend and I'm happy with them so far, although the only other mobile base I've used is the Herc-u-lift on my 3650. I think they're made by HTC but sold under the PortaMate name, or maybe HTC just bought PortaMate (or vice-versa). Anyway, they were a bargain at $29.99 each. They appear identical to the HTC 1000 which sell for twice as much. But I did have a difficult time locating them. I bought one right after Christmas, used it for a week and decided to get three more. Had to go to four stores to find them. If you're interested, the HD SKU number is 706-527.

-O&B

Comment

Originally posted by Orange&Blue View Post
          Last month I bought four Porta-Mate universal mobile bases from the BORG. Just finished installing the last one over the weekend and I'm happy with them so far, although the only other mobile base I've used is the Herc-u-lift on my 3650. I think they're made by HTC but sold under the PortaMate name, or maybe HTC just bought PortaMate (or vice-versa). Anyway, they were a bargain at $29.99 each. They appear identical to the HTC 1000 which sell for twice as much. But I did have a difficult time locating them. I bought one right after Christmas, used it for a week and decided to get three more. Had to go to four stores to find them. If you're interested, the HD SKU number is 706-527.

-O&B
          DIng Ding Ding!!! They were on clearance. I bought 2. Put one under my Ridgid jointer. I works super in my garage.

Comment

Bouoght one last week for $29.99, last night I found they are on clearance for $19.99! Am going back today with the reciept to collect my 10 bucks.

Actually I might just buying another set so I can replace the short rails with those 18" rails from the 2nd set.

Originally posted by Orange&Blue View Post

-O&B

Comment

Do you think putting a drill press on this type of moble base would be too unstable or OK? I just got a DP but haven't even unpacked it yet...small shop....mobility is HUGE!

Comment

i will vouch for the general mobil base. i have my ridgid jointer on it. moves easily and is levelable once the rolling wheels are disengaged.
                there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

I'm gint o check out the Ridgid drill press this week, pls bear in mind that the $19 (sales price) mobile base has a min size of 18"x18". You may want to check the base dimensions of your DP.

Originally posted by Hef View Post
                  Do you think putting a drill press on this type of moble base would be too unstable or OK? I just got a DP but haven't even unpacked it yet...small shop....mobility is HUGE!

Comment

I guess I was thinking more in general...is it bad to put a DP on a mobile base? Would that tip easily?

Comment

I have one mobile base with a desk which I am using as my sanding/grinding station in the garage, when the wheels are "up", it is very stable.

I am planning to get a floor standing DP use on a mobile base, and I am not worried about tipping over.. as long as you don't "race" it when moving it around.

Comment

Looking for a mobile base for my DP too, I was about to pull the trigger on the PortaMate but got a good suggestion from somewhere else: teflon pucks screwed to a piece of plywood. You can make the plywood any size (to help alleviate some of the front heaviness, I made the plywood so there is a lot more in back than front). Got a "stick" of Delrin from McMaster, cut 4 pucks and screwed them to the ply. It takes a little to get the movement started (I have the 17" Craftsman Pro price mistake DP), but once its goin it glides nice enough to move but not be out of control.

I had the ply laying around, and the Delrin only cost 6 bux. I might buy a couple Portamates if they are on clearance up here just to have em, but the home made solution for the DP works great.

-Chris
                        Last edited by chrisexv6; 03-05-2008, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Bought the Ridgid DP last night along with another PortaMates ($19 with a change). Also, I misinformed in my earlier post, min size for PortaMate is 12x12.

I think teflon puck is a very good alternative, I have a few of those left adhered to some fo the heavier filing cabinets, they do help gliding around on carpet. I have not considered them to use on cement floor (garage) due to the concern that dirt/grits will bite into the puck ... but after all, they can be easily replaced by new pucks.. good idea.

Comment

ugh,

I went into my local HD Borg outpost where they showed 8 portamate universal mobile bases in their "system", but nobody there knew what they were or where to find them. They weren't in either the tool crib or where they usually keep things like the roller stands, sawhorses, or casters. Does anybody who has successfully found them at your local stores remember where they kept them?

Thanks!

Steve

Comment

Both HD stores in my city keep their PortaMate in their tools section.

Good luck in treacking them down.

Originally posted by walkingman View Post
                              ugh,

I went into my local HD Borg outpost where they showed 8 portamate universal mobile bases in their "system", but nobody there knew what they were or where to find them. They weren't in either the tool crib or where they usually keep things like the roller stands, sawhorses, or casters. Does anybody who has successfully found them at your local stores remember where they kept them?

Thanks!

Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X