X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blade Guard Removal/Installation-Thx

On the woodnet forum yesterday, there was a monstrous thread about whether or not to use the blade guard/splitter assembly provided with today's saws. One thing that people kept bringing up was how hard it is to remove and install the blade guards on their saws.

I guess I take this for granted, but I want to thank Ridgid for making it so easy on the 2424. When the procedure requires the splitter to be removed (dados, etc), it is a snap. You guys have given me no reason to leave it off.

I agree. thanks ridgid
    Andy B.

Comment

Your Welcome. Its good to know people are using the guard.

Comment

Blkad e gureddd? yoiu guyys uise tyhpose thi ngs?

[ 07-11-2002, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: Scattin ]
        God put me on earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now Im so far behind I may never Die!

Comment

wow

never installed mine. in fact it is still in the original box. safety is key and the guard just gets in the way obstructing your view at times causing you to reach over and move it out of the way getting your hands too close to the blade. without it on it gives you a better look at what you are doing and much easier to remain concious of where the blade is. in addition i have experienced in the past where my work would get hung up on the guard ruining the cut. although the guard is a safety feature IMHO it is safer to leave it off

ed
          \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

I'm with Ed on this one. The blade OEM gaurds supplied IMO get in teh way much more than they help. They give a false sense of security also. I removed mine 1 1/2 years ago, and it has not been back on since. Stock kept haning up on it, and cuttung thin strips was impossible as the gaurd got in the way. I now use a ZC plate, splitter, board buddies and feather bourds.
            Support Our Troops!
            www.mnpatriotguard.org
            www.patriotguard.org

Comment

Simple math--the more cuts you make, without a guard, the higher your chances of an injury. If the guard gets in the way 10% of your cuts---remove it, but put it back on afterward---90% safe is better than zero.
              Dave

Comment

"If the guard gets in the way 10% of your cuts"

Not preaching here. But, I find it of interest, what the British response to this is. They say if the guard gets in the way 10% of your cuts, then 10% of your cuts are being made using the wrong tool.

Simple equation, if you have to remove the supplied guarding, you are using the wrong tool. It's an interesting philosophy, I wonder if their workshop accident statistics are correspondingly lower.

Dave

Comment

Dave--just playing a percentage, for sake of arguement---10% of time off--better than what previous posts proposing.

As to Britan---accident figures, overall, that I remember is that they were, per capita, consistantly lower than here in the Colonies--Germany too (though from first-hand review, the Germans haven't heard about ergonomics yet
                  Dave

Comment

Working...
                  X