X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• let's take a minute to talk about shop safety

I'm wondering about safety glasses. I just bought a new pair that in the package looked comfortable and seemed like they should work. Now I have a crappy pair of glasses that have distort what I'm looking at and aren't all that comfortable. So I was wondering what you guys and gals wear, do they have real glass or polycarbonate lens, do you like the goggle style or prefer a face-shield all the time. Any brands in particular,and finally where do you buy them.
    Thanks,
    JJC
    P.S. I don't have anything like a Rockler near me, I'm not opposed to catalogs or internet as long as the return policy is fair.

JJC,
    I use the UVEX Genesis glasses. They are lightweight, wrap around and have polycarbonate lenses and I personally find them very comfortable, so much so that on occasion I forget to take them off when I am done in the shop. I also prefer these over the full chemistry lab style that usually fogs up. I can also buy them at our company store at a reduced cost which is another perk.

I'm not sure where to buy them at a local store but a search online provides many hits, and it looks like they fall into the $15 range w/shipping.

Here is a link to see what they look like and to buy if you choose (I never purchased here personally)

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/genesis.html

Good Luck and always keep those eyes protected.
    Let me see... 1, 2, 3, 4.... Uh Oh.

Comment

Uvex would be one of my first picks----think you'll find that the stuff sold at hardware stores is pretty poor. However, if you use perscription glasses in the shop, it's much easier to get them made up in safety glasses----BTW---you do not need to spend the money on polycarbonete frames/lenses----a company called Titmus has been making safety glasses for years---I'd call some optomitrists or occulists to see who can order them. Any safety glasses should have ANSI Z-87 printed somewhere on them to be rated safety glasses.
      Dave

Comment

Thanks, Redline! That is a great site. Incredible prices too! I use a goggle that I got at HD and it always fogs up when I use a dust mask...i'll try this one.

THanks,
        Subbu

Comment

These HF soft poly goggles are fairly comfortable, effective, and meet spec as well. They fit over glasses and they are cheap.

They do distort a very small amount, but they have the wrap-around protection... nice for router work.

Comment

I also use the Uvex glasses at work and in the shop. I have a pair of the dark lenses that I use as driving glasses. I use a full face shield when using my lathe.
            info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

I too use the Uvex glasses at work and around the shop and yard (weed whacking, etc.). I like the fit and protection of their current line. Easy to remove the lens for cleaning (a very small amount of liquid hand soap or dish detergent works great, rub with your fingers under warm, running water), very sturdy, light-weight. I also have a pair that I keep in the truck with the mirrored lens for driving, I like them as much as some regular sunglasses. Also they are not polarized which can be a problem with LCD displays on current electronic equipment like GPS units, radios, what have you.

Buy the Uvex, and get a couple extra lenses while you are at it, you will love them.

http://www.uvex.com/genesis2.html

Comment

Uvex Genesis, hands down. I earn my bread and butter in the occupational health and safety world. I try all kinds of glasses, usually free. I use mainly the Genesis. I have each lens color of the Genesis model and their new one (XC or something like that) that has a bigger lens. The Genesis passes ANSI Eye protection standards and one military standard.

I also use them for skiing, and they are the best for mountain biking. Many sports sun glasses cost >$100, and most of them do not pass the ANSI Standard. The Genesis usually costs under $10, and the anti fog UVextreme coating is one of the best as well.

Bottom line is to always where them when there is a risk. Many eye injuries are caused by the guy or gal standing next to you. I have a picture of a prescription lens that stopped a nail from a nail gun. If anyone would like to see it, I can get it. Later

Comment

If you want to put your hands on them before you buy, so to a saftey equip. supplier. Safety is national and there are many more. They carry a lot of brands.
                  SCWood

Comment

Hey I was just wondering has anyone found these in stores, or just mail order. I have yet to find a pair of safety glasses that I can wear for any amount of time.

Comment

Hey tuff71,
                      Today I wandered into Whitecap construction supply, while they seem to specialize in concrete applications, they did have a big assortment of the Uvex glasses. Their site Whitecapdirect shows that they have a location in your neck of the woods. Here is the address and phone #,
                      1631 Second Avenue,
                      Des Moines, IA 50314-3647,
                      Phone: 515-243-6969
                      I have heard good things about these folks also lab safety supply
                      JJC

[ 01-20-2004, 03:47 PM: Message edited by: JJC ]

Comment

Thank you everyone for the input.
                        Now that I've got the eye protection covered. How about the ears? What do you all prefer? Thanks again,
                        JJC

Comment

Thanks to all that had input on this subject, a little over a year ago I suffered some temporary difficulty in one eye caused by sawdust. I had not found comfortable eye protection that I felt would provide the protection I desired, so on your recommendations I ordered an assortment of safety glasses and dust goggles today from Safety Glasses USA and they already shipped.

As far as hearing protection goes I have been using the Peltor Work Tunes for about a year and really enjoy them, they were money well spent.

Woodslayer

Comment

As an industrial hygienist, I have conducted hundreds of noise and airborne wood dust surveys in large and small cabinet shops/manufacturing(molding) plants/lumber mills, etc., while working in Oregon a few years ago. For hearing protection use the Noise Reduction Rating (NRR)found on the package. The higher the number, the more protection it offers. Ear plugs are great if inserted properly and if they fit your ear. Many companies make different sizes of ear plugs. Ear muffs also work well, but proper use requires that the seal around your ear cannot be broken, i.e. by safety glasses, etc. Noise is a physical pressure change and will leak in through any opening. Don't put your personal stereo under your ear muffs then turn it up the to hear it over the background noise or use it as a hearing protection device. You are kidding yourself if you think it helps. The noise level of a personal stereo can easily exceed 85 decibels. The close proximity to your ear is the problem. They are fine at low levels.

When to wear hearing protection devices? If possible, have the noise levels measured. If that is not an option, you can use this rule of thumb. If you have to raise your voice significantly to talk with someone next to you, the noise level may be greater than 85 decibels. It is time to protect your hearing. You can always wear your ear plugs prior to this level as well. Hearing loss is gradual, but can be accelerated. It is usually difficult to detect hearing loss until you have lost a significant amount. It is also permanent. I wear ear plugs whenever I attend concerts, mow the lawn, use loud tools of any sort, etc. I have measured all of these events as well. A loud large arena concert can give you enough noise in 15 minutes to exceed the OSHA limit that is allowable for an 8-hour work period. Another example, I worked at a college basketball game last night and had my noise dosimeter handy. One great alley oop dunk was worth a max level of 111.3 decibels on the floor behind the basketball standard. I used my ear plugs of course. Average exposure level behind the standard for the game was over 90 decibels.

See the following link for more info (NIOSH is the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health)

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/noise/#

Comment

I have to wear glasses anyway so there glass safety lenses. I just add the little top and side panels when needed.

Comment

Working...
                              X