X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dado Dilemma...

I would like to pick up a dado set, so I've settled on the SD206. Good quality at a nice price. One of the main reasons I'm going with the 206 is that there is no reason to put extra strain on the motor by going with the SD208. So I have a 22% coupon for Rockler for in-store items only this weekend only. Called over and they don't have the 206, only the 208 in the SD line. It's mainly going to be used for weekend stuff, so no professional cabinet building here.

I checked amazon and even the SD206's over there are $85. So basically, I can get the 208 for about $74 and change at Rockler. Should I let any additional motor strain issues shy me away from the 208 for that price?

I'm running a stock 3650 on 110/120 setup.

Re: Dado Dilemma...

Hi Sawhorse!

I've used an 8" dado stack on my TS3650 since I've had the saw. I've used it to dado oak, walnut, maply, and ply. I think the biggest dado I've done was a near 3/4" dado 1/2" deep into 100-yr-old hard-as-nails oak. The saw never even whined. I've used the dado stack to make tenons and such as well. I've never had a power issue with the 3650 and the 8" dado stack. Mine's also a stock 3650, original motor, 110v. I would say go for the SD208 and don't even worry.
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Thanks for the response VASandy!!!

With the 22% off coupon, I think I will take advantage and get the 208. I'm not going to be using it on a daily basis and I'll just go slow if I hear it groaning.

Comment

Amazon is currently running a 25% off special on Freud blades. You can buy the SD206 there for $63.74 delivered. You could also order the SD208 from them for $71.23 delivered. Either way, you'll be paying less money than buying it at Rockler and no sales tax either.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Thanks BadgerDave!!!

Didn't see the special section they had when I initially looked. I'm looking to get started on the built-in project this weekend (too much procrastination already). Plus I have to pickup some other things at Rockler while they're having this big sale this weekend, so I think I'll just pickup the 208 while I'm there.

I appreciate the feedback though...

Comment

I agree with Sandy. Used the 8" for quite some time with no problems thus far.
            Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

So I picked up the Freud SD208 from Rockler and it's a high polish mirror like finish, rather than the black coating that I've seen anywhere else. Why would it have a high polish mirror finish to it? On the blade itself it says item D208M.

Also, HD carries a DD208, which is the Freud Diablo. I tried looking on their site, but can't seem to find a difference and certainly can't find the version with the high polish finish.

Will the high polish mirror finish create more friction? Is the Freud SD208 better than the DD208 Diablo? I'm guessing they're different lines targeted to 2 different markets, but which is the better one? Plus, they both seem to be around the same price.

Any thoughts on this one?

Comment

Ask" Charles M." at woodnet forum under power tools. He is Freud rep. and a great help.
                I have the black SD206 and it works fine, use it on the RAS and jobsite TS.
                I would think the polish finish is better. The friction is not the issue it is the mass of the dado blade on a 110v saw. You see more friction problems in deep rip cuts, dado cuts are shallow typically. I think an an 8" is OK on a belt driven / induction motor saw, I would not use it on a direct drive portable. I also have an SD508 I use on a Unisaw, which is an excellent set, metal finish but not polished.
                http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthr...at=&Board=UBB2
                Last edited by Andrew M.; 02-23-2008, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sawhorse75 View Post
                  So I picked up the Freud SD208 from Rockler and it's a high polish mirror like finish, rather than the black coating that I've seen anywhere else. Why would it have a high polish mirror finish to it? On the blade itself it says item D208M.

Also, HD carries a DD208, which is the Freud Diablo. I tried looking on their site, but can't seem to find a difference and certainly can't find the version with the high polish finish.

Will the high polish mirror finish create more friction? Is the Freud SD208 better than the DD208 Diablo? I'm guessing they're different lines targeted to 2 different markets, but which is the better one? Plus, they both seem to be around the same price.

Any thoughts on this one?
                  The DD208 is an excluse model number to Home Depot and the only difference between it and the SD208 is the model number designation. I believe at one time the DD sets where black and the SD sets were the red color but Freud now makes both sets in black only. It's my understanding that the new high gloss finish on some of the Freud blades is a new finish and replaces the old uncoated blades in the Frued line. Possibly, and this is just a guess, Freud has again just changed the finish and all DD and SD sets are no longer black either.
                  Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback Andrew M. and BadgerDave!!!

I'll post my questions over at woodnet and see how the Freud rep responds. If nothing else, I'll give Freud a call Monday to see what's up and report my findings back here if anyone else has future similar inquiries.

Comment

I noticed Freud thin kerf blades at Lowes with a high shine finish. It was called a "silver coat" or something like that, and was to reduce friction according to the package. The one I saw was the 50T combination thin kerf. They had some 80T ones that looked like the original "TK" series, but they may be older stock.

Go
                      Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Ok, received a response back from the Freud rep. It looks like the high mirror finish is the Silver I.C.E. coating which protects it from rust and reduces friction. The earlier (black coat) versions were only rust resistant and had no friction reducing properties. Also, the SD208 is identical to the DD208, except the DD has the PermaShield coating.

He provided this link in case anyone would like additional information on the Silver I.C.E.

http://www.freudtools.com/news.aspx?showarticle=8

Looks like I'll be practicing my dado cuts tomorrow...

Comment

Working...
                        X