• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RRitch
    started a topic Link belt and Machined Pullys for TS 2424

Link belt and Machined Pullys for TS 2424

All,

I am thinking abut replacing the ribbed belt and pullys on my 2424 with a link belt and the machined pullys. They sell a contractors saw upgrade kit for the Craftsman that includes both the pullys and the belt. Does anyone know if this will fit the 2424. I know that alot of other accessories for the Craftsman fit, but am not sure about this. Has anyone else upgraded, and do you think it is worth the ~$50.00 that it costs.

-Rob

• DCH
    replied
    Thanks Jake!!! I really didn't need to know that, but hey there's a new post on here from zapj(?) maybe this info will help him.

Dave

Leave a comment:

• JSchnarre
    replied
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DCH:

Jake, please don't tell me that I could have retro-fitted my saw, it would probably really depress me.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not to depress you but you could have, although we only sell the pullies and the belt as parts. Though I haven't priced them, I think you'd find the price to be about equal to the link belt and pullies.

Leave a comment:

• RRitch
    replied
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> I'm willing to forgo my ten dollar fee if you give your girl an extra hug. Deal? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dave,

That is an everyday gift, both from me to her, and from her to me. Alot of people thought it was weird that I wanted a girl and not a boy first. But I say there is nothing better than "daddy's little girl"

-Rob

Leave a comment:

• Dave Arbuckle
    replied
    I'm willing to forgo my ten dollar fee if you give your girl an extra hug. Deal?

Dave
    Proud father of the world's greatest fifteen year old daughter. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Leave a comment:

• DCH
    replied
    Ok so I'm the guy that said the best thing I did was replace the cast pulleys with the machined ones and put on the link belt (remember my saw is 20 years old). All things considered I don't regret it for a second, however if I had the option for the newer style pulleys and belt then that is what I would have done. Rob, as your last post stats your not going to worry about it, I just needed to add my couple of cents...
    Jake, please don't tell me that I could have retro-fitted my saw, it would probably really depress me.
    Dave

Leave a comment:

• JSchnarre
    replied
    I was going jump in with a big "NO, DON'T DO IT", but it looks like you guys took care of it.

Rob:You'll be much happier if you stick with the poly-v belt. Yes the link belt is smooth, but the poly-v does a much better job of transfering the power and will last much longer than the link belt.

Jake

Leave a comment:

• RRitch
    replied
    Ok, guys I'm convinced. Like I said there is no vibration, and if the ribbed belt isn't going to take a set than it is a non issue. Sorry about the $10.oo have to play santa to my 19 mo old, and that takes all Ive got (I like to spoil her).

Thanks for the advice

-Rob

Leave a comment:

• Hergy
    replied
    Rob, thanks for the $10. I'm attending the WW show over in Des Moines this coming weekend so the $10 will come in handy.

Also, let the old saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." be your guide. Got to rank right up there with "Buyer Beware".

Leave a comment:

• Dave Arbuckle
    replied
    I would suggest you not borrow trouble.

As Hergy said, if you install a link belt, you will most likely be increasing the vibration on the saw. I've never heard of a ribbed belt taking set, but if you're concerned, just slip the belt off when done using. I don't think it makes a difference, but it might make you rest easier.

Now, if you send Hergy a tenner, and me the same, you're still thirty bucks to the good.

Dave

Leave a comment:

• RRitch
    replied
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> If you are experiencing vibration problems, I think you need to realign you pullies and belt. Maybe there is something you haven't told us??? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hergy,

Actually my 2424 passes the nickel test everytime, from start up through shut down. No vibration problem at all. My main concern is that sometime I go a few weeks without using it, and I am afraid that the belt will eventually take a set

-Rob

Leave a comment:

• Hergy
    replied
    Unless I'm missing something, what you have on your saw now is superior to what you are contemplating as a replacement. In my opinion, what you are thinking of would be a downgrade, rather than an upgrade. You already have machined pullies. If you are experiencing vibration problems, I think you need to realign you pullies and belt. Maybe there is something you haven't told us???

Leave a comment:

Working...
X