X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cut not clean at the end

I was testing the squarness of the saw setup by ripping a short board and flipping it end to end to see if it is out of square. The board is only 8 inches long and 6 inches wide. The blade is a Diablo by Freud with 60 teeth.
    The cut looks good except the piece on the outside of the saw away from the fence has a very small tip of wood left on the top side of the board. The tip sticks out toward the saw blade about a 32. I am not using a guard.
    Is this because the very end of the cut lets the loose board bounce?

Re: Cut not clean at the end

I've had that problem on small pieces. You have to run your "save" piece completely through the blade, otherwise it'll miss that one tiny bit at the end. It's like a tiny little solid triangle. To make sure this doesn't happen, use your miter gauge and push the piece completely through the blade. The end on the other side of the miter will have the piece on the end, but the part on the miter side won't. Since the extra piece is less than the thickness of the blade, you won't have a divot on that piece either.
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

VASANDY, the OP was talking about RIPPING and your'e talking about x-cutting, which is a whole different story. Obviously the miter gage has no place when making a rip cut. More than likely the problem is caused by the size board the OP is/was using. This is really not much of a rip. With a wider board, you can use both hands (carefully) to move the wood through the blade. Your left hand can push the offcut side through the blade simultaneously with the right. A splitter is also highly recommended when ripping. When will the US saw makers get wise and start including riving knives on domestic saws as standard equipment? Europe has had them for years.
      Dick

Comment

I used my Gripper and fed another board and had no problems. Should have used it the first time.

Comment

Working...
        X